I put a pretty decent elk down a number of years ago and I wish to share that hunt and story. It had some twists and turns and is worth sharing.

Myself and fellow elk nut, Elk-Aholic, decided to slip into a mid elevation hole that is a known rutting area to us. If elk haven’t been pressured the spot is money. Elk funnel into this area and yard up starting around the second week of October. It’s only a 2 hr hike so not very tough to access for a day hunt and be in tight for first light. The date was October 18th.

After a quick push in we were met with drifting fog and rain at first light. A soft bugle was met with an instant response. I am not much of a fan of bugling other than to locate a bull(s) then it’s ninja time. We are not looking for the first 3 or 4 yr old 6 point that comes running in.

The response was from some distance away and above. It was difficult to pinpoint with the wind and rain. Knowing the area well we picked are way along never sky lining and staying hidden in tight draws. As we climbed in elevation fog was becoming a factor. I knew we were pretty tight to roughly where we thought the bull had bugled from. We hunkered down and started working the glass when the fog would permit. The bull sounded off from what appeared to be only 200 to 300 meters above us. Elk-Aholic is a glassing machine and he started picking out elk thru the fog. Some were bedded and some were standing. 10 mins of forensic glassing later I found bone…..the fog lifted just enough to get a quick look at him……a very solid and mature 6 point that was bedded.