View Poll Results: What species is next?

Voters
360. You may not vote on this poll
  • Moose

40 11.11%
  • Sheep

36 10.00%
  • Black Bear

68 18.89%
  • Wolves

184 51.11%
  • Mtn Goat

11 3.06%
  • Other

21 5.83%
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What species will be closed forever next?

Re: What species will be closed forever next?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdown View Post
    Hopefully cougars! To me having dogs chase a cat into exhaustion and up into a tree is cowardly and the furthest thing from actually hunting. Not to mention that danger it puts your dogs in. Absolutely pointless. Do it without the dogs or don’t do it all.
    Treeing cougars is the best way to positively identify the sex which ensures fewer females are shot.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Hopefully cougars! To me having dogs chase a cat into exhaustion and up into a tree is cowardly and the furthest thing from actually hunting. Not to mention that danger it puts your dogs in. Absolutely pointless. Do it without the dogs or don’t do it all.
    Wow after whats has just happened with the grizzly hunt, you make a statement like this ! If you are not a troll then you are extremely selfish and insensitive to other hunters. I never even hunted grizzly bear and yet I have been just sick to my stomach ever since I heard the news of the total ban annonuced on monday. I cant imagine how the grizzly hunters and outfitters must be feeling !

I have never hunted cougar either but I can easily see the sport of it is about the hounds, the probably countless hours of training and devotion that goes into making good cougar hounds, seems very sporting to me...and if it didnt Id keep my selfish thoughts to myself !

And as far as the cat being terriefied up in the tree, well big f'ing deal, you should so how cruel my cat is to mice, she frigging torments them to death and then doesnt even eat them cause I feed her to good......cats a god damn trophy hunter is what she is...lol !!

Last edited by Islander30; 12-21-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Trolling from the start. Don’t waste your time fokes.

I'm going to be up in the vanderhoof area in the next coupes of weeks and I'd like to try to get a wolf or two! I was up there a few years ago and was told that the dump road up towards fort st james was a good place to look.

Any of you from around that area had any more luck in certain areas than others?!!? I've got my foxpro all set up and ready to go!

Thanks
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Wolf down. .perhaps your missing some points..you still got to physically keep up..or get to where the dogs and cougar are..takes effort to get there before cougar jumps or hurts the dogs..
    There is the advantage of a treed cougar..you can judge if it's a male or female..if it is an adult..large and old or young inexperienced cat.you can decide to harvest your legal animal..or gather up the dogs and leave the cat go if it's young or female or?
    The licenses..tags all contribute to the welfare of all animals. .non hunters don't contribute a single cent to big game well being.
    Without dogs cougar hunting..lynx hunting would be pretty difficult I have heard of it being successful..but damn...tough go..
    I was on a lynx hunt..i eventually arrived at the treed lynx..guide..very experienced guy said it was a male but a bit small..took some photos and we left..yes if he had been 5 pounds bigger. .i would have harvested him..however until I do find that large old male I have a great photo .
    Biologists use hunters as a wildlife tool to manage these preditors in their ecological role in the grand scheme of things..
    If you don't understand..that's OK. .it doesn't make the harvest less legal or less successful..you are entitled to your opinion..howeverif you ddon't like hunting..there are quilting forums..this is where hunting...all types of hunting are discussed and celebrated..where new hunters can come and learn....we need not scare these new hunters off with critical dismissive attitudes..
    We need to stand together as hunters regardless of what and how we legally hunt.
    Srupp
    Another good post mate. thanks
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I don't think a handful of $30.00 cougar tags is going to make or break the economy of British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Wolf down. .perhaps your missing some points..you still got to physically keep up..or get to where the dogs and cougar are..takes effort to get there before cougar jumps or hurts the dogs..
    There is the advantage of a treed cougar..you can judge if it's a male or female..if it is an adult..large and old or young inexperienced cat.you can decide to harvest your legal animal..or gather up the dogs and leave the cat go if it's young or female or?
    The licenses..tags all contribute to the welfare of all animals. .non hunters don't contribute a single cent to big game well being.
    Without dogs cougar hunting..lynx hunting would be pretty difficult I have heard of it being successful..but damn...tough go..
    I was on a lynx hunt..i eventually arrived at the treed lynx..guide..very experienced guy said it was a male but a bit small..took some photos and we left..yes if he had been 5 pounds bigger. .i would have harvested him..however until I do find that large old male I have a great photo .
    Biologists use hunters as a wildlife tool to manage these preditors in their ecological role in the grand scheme of things..
    If you don't understand..that's OK. .it doesn't make the harvest less legal or less successful..you are entitled to your opinion..howeverif you ddon't like hunting..there are quilting forums..this is where hunting...all types of hunting are discussed and celebrated..where new hunters can come and learn....we need not scare these new hunters off with critical dismissive attitudes..
    We need to stand together as hunters regardless of what and how we legally hunt.
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by Hublocker View Post
    I don't think a handful of $30.00 cougar tags is going to make or break the economy of British Columbia.
    Go hunts at 7-10k is a larger economic impact

Cougar.....
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

its not quite as easy as you seem to think it is. I suggest you give it a try if the offer is ever extended to you.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

so you actually consider letting dogs out to tree cougar and then walking up to the treed cougar after doing absolutely nothing and shooting it “hunting” ?
    You have no clue. Same with bear baiting too right? There is no work or sport or hunting involved. The bait station takes minutes to setup and you go shoot a bear the next day right?

Anyway that you can increase your ability to be selective in regards to which animal you harvest is the best. It is the best in regards to conservation and preservation of the population. It takes a lot of work to raise dogs, and I used to be against this type of hunt whether it was for bears or cougars, BUT as I have grown as a CONSERVATIONIST first and a hunter second I am beginning to realize that its not the how you hunt, but what you harvest that is the most important. I am not a TROPHY hunter, but I am a SELECTIVE hunter. I want to harvest the animal that has the most positive impact on the population I am hunting. This is how we need to rebrand hunting, its not a trophy its selective. There is reason behind it, it is easy to justify and it is hard to argue against when discussing with people that are not so keen on hunting or trophy hunting. We all need to retool how we discuss this type of thing, and we need to be lound in the public forum in a smart way to come across as a CONSERVATIONIST first and a hunter second.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I hate to throw a krink into cat hunting but.... if we are going to argue selectivity of the hunt in conjunction with population management, shouldn't harvest throughout all age classes be an accepted and supported practice in the world of cat hunting?
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.