View Poll Results: What species is next?

Voters
360. You may not vote on this poll
  • Moose

40 11.11%
  • Sheep

36 10.00%
  • Black Bear

68 18.89%
  • Wolves

184 51.11%
  • Mtn Goat

11 3.06%
  • Other

21 5.83%
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What species will be closed forever next?

Re: What species will be closed forever next?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdown View Post
    Typicsl around here.. I don’t have your opinion, therefore I’m a troll?

How many cat hunts have you been on?

So the topic is "What species will be closed forever next". How has this all started? As I recall, an NHL hockey player posted a picture on facebook of his trophy grizzly bear a few years ago. There was a big public outcry, and pressure exerted on the government to close "Trophy Hunting for grizzlies. The results of that post are now evident. Fast forward to today, and a hunter posts pictures of a cougar, again on facebook, and the public react negatively. The common theme here is social media, and the general publics dislike for hunting.

Back years ago, it was acceptable for hunters returning from the hunt to drape their quarry over the hood of their car or truck. At a point about 30 to 40 years ago, the Wildlife Branch encouraged hunters to stop that practice, as it upset the general public, and we did. Whether you like it or not, the general public for the most part, don't want to see dead animals most anywhere. So if we are all smart, or learning from past mistakes, we will use some discretion and not post our hunting trips on social media. Hunting BC is a good place to post, if your so inclined.

Look at this another way. The general public, buy their meat from a butcher or grocery store. A nice little plastic wrapped package of "stuff". Ask yourself this. How many of the general public do you think would eat any sort of meat product, if they were forced to walk through an abattoir. I would bet not many.

So you want to know which animal is going to be banned from hunting next? Just keep posting your hunting successes on social media, and you will have your answer sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    So the topic is "What species will be closed forever next". How has this all started? As I recall, an NHL hockey player posted a picture on facebook of his trophy grizzly bear a few years ago. There was a big public outcry, and pressure exerted on the government to close "Trophy Hunting for grizzlies. The results of that post are now evident. Fast forward to today, and a hunter posts pictures of a cougar, again on facebook, and the public react negatively. The common theme here is social media, and the general publics dislike for hunting.

Back years ago, it was acceptable for hunters returning from the hunt to drape their quarry over the hood of their car or truck. At a point about 30 to 40 years ago, the Wildlife Branch encouraged hunters to stop that practice, as it upset the general public, and we did. Whether you like it or not, the general public for the most part, don't want to see dead animals most anywhere. So if we are all smart, or learning from past mistakes, we will use some discretion and not post our hunting trips on social media. Hunting BC is a good place to post, if your so inclined.

Look at this another way. The general public, buy their meat from a butcher or grocery store. A nice little plastic wrapped package of "stuff". Ask yourself this. How many of the general public do you think would eat any sort of meat product, if they were forced to walk through an abattoir. I would bet not many.

So you want to know which animal is going to be banned from hunting next? Just keep posting your hunting successes on social media, and you will have your answer sooner than later.

id say that hit the nail.....

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    id say that hit the nail.....
    The ones who drew attention were the ones that weren't really share-worthy, to be honest. I remember that video of the grizzly bear being shot and sliding down the mountain hundreds of feet, not dying, while people laugh in the background. That does no one any favors. I'm a hunter and i didn't enjoy watching that. It was a stupid video to post.

Same with people who post pictures of themselves with their kill with blood up their arms to their shoulders, or even ones who paint their face with blood ... like, wtf are you thinking? I packed out 4 deer this year and didn't get as much as a drop of blood on my sleeves. You're not cool because you covered your arms in blood.

Pretty sure people used to post shit on here too that got banned/removed (or maybe a new rule added, can't remember) that had too much gore, like headshot does. I've been on this site a long time, i've seen a lot of crap. There's no shortage of ret@rds on either side.

But unless you continue to share your hunting success we'll just shrink as a group even more. Sure, the ministry might see there's been more hunting licenses sold than ever before, but until your friends acquaintances and coworkers etc do as well hunting will just keep shrinking as far as acceptable social activities go.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 12-21-2017 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    How many cat hunts have you been on?
    None.. I don’t get the point of it.

Twoseveno

We do need to share our success, but we also need to think about how we do it.
    Me? id rather go back to the time before the online.... when we did what we did and only our Friends knew.... life was not near as complicated....
    Social media is a double edged sword. it can help us, but it can also kill us...

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    The ones who drew attention were the ones that weren't really share-worthy, to be honest. I remember that video of the grizzly bear being shot and sliding down the mountain hundreds of feet, not dying, while people laugh in the background. That does no one any favors. I'm a hunter and i didn't enjoy watching that. It was a stupid video to post.

Same with people who post pictures of themselves with their kill with blood up their arms to their shoulders, or even ones who paint their face with blood ... like, wtf are you thinking? I packed out 4 deer this year and didn't get as much as a drop of blood on my sleeves. You're not cool because you covered your arms in blood.

Pretty sure people used to post shit on here too that got banned/removed (or maybe a new rule added, can't remember) that had too much gore, like headshot does. I've been on this site a long time, i've seen a lot of crap. There's no shortage of ret@rds on either side.

But unless you continue to share your hunting success we'll just shrink as a group even more. Sure, the ministry might see there's been more hunting licenses sold than ever before, but until your friends acquaintances and coworkers etc do as well hunting will just keep shrinking as far as acceptable social activities go.
    Two SevenO
    Share all you want within the hunting community. As you said, it's idiots posting on social media. As I said in my earlier post, people used to drape animals over the hoods of their vehicles. When that practice stopped, hunting did not diminish or die out. It just went unnoticed by the general public, and in most circumstances that's a good thing. You rub this hunting thing in the general publics face, and it will bite you hard. You will loose in the end. There are times when it is better to remain quiet or conservative with the truth. And I would suggest now is one of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdown View Post
    Hopefully cougars! To me having dogs chase a cat into exhaustion and up into a tree is cowardly and the furthest thing from actually hunting. Not to mention that danger it puts your dogs in. Absolutely pointless. Do it without the dogs or don’t do it all.
    I don't like the way you conduct your hunting, so hopefully your method gets banned.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I have to agree with the idea that it is what's posted and shared, not that we as hunters are posting and sharing. We should be able to post our successes- there is a lot of integrity in what we do. I actually started hunting because I was unhappy with what I saw from large scale agriculture. That is no way for an animal to live before we eat it. I believe we are meant to have meat in our diet. I feel that to eat meat ethically, means taking full responsibility for that meat from start to finish.

We as hunters need to watch what we post and where. We need consider tact when we do. I agree that whooping and hollering when an animal suffers is BS. I also find that offensive as a hunter. If we present what we do with tact then it will be harder for anti-hunters to argue with us. They will only ever seek out on facebook and youtube that which will fuel their cause. Keep our posts respectful of the animals (as it should be), and speak up when you see a jack-ass painting us all in a negative light, and hopefully there will eventually be less material available for the anti's to source.

Hopefully there doesn't have to be another banned species.
    Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I don't like the way you conduct your hunting, so hopefully your method gets banned.
    you can’t call that hunting.. scared cat in a tree to shoot at? Really? Lol