Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BCWF- Grizzly hunt cancelled- Statement

BCWF- Grizzly hunt cancelled- Statement

Government Moves Goal Posts on Grizzly Hunting

For Immediate Release December 18, 2017

Using post-truth era consultative techniques the B.C. government has now decided to ban grizzly bear hunting to all but First Nations hunters.

Government had said it was only going to ban the “trophy hunting of grizzly bears”, but has now changed its mind, and is banning grizzly bear hunting.

The government’s change of heart is rationalized based on feedback from its consultative process where it asked what should be done with the “grizzly bear parts.”

“This is the most disingenuous approach to forming public policy I have ever seen during my career inside and outside government,” said BC Wildlife Federation President Harvey Andrusak. “Government was very clear with the BCWF, that this consultative process was solely about what to do with grizzly “trophy parts”, and that discussion about the hunt itself was not the issue. The government deceived us."

This approach raises warning flags about government’s ability to act in good-faith. The government set the goal posts, and chose not to consult on grizzly bear hunting, and then changed its mind after consultation. This approach is undemocratic and contrary to open and transparent process.

With regards to grizzly bear hunting the BCWF expects closing the hunt will result in increased human-bear confrontations and attacks in both the front and backcountry.

The taxpayer will be responsible to manage bears over the long-run which will reduce the social value of grizzly bears.

The BCWF’s expects government to manage wildlife based on science, and that consultation is open and transparent.

In this case none of the expectations have been met; this approach does not bode well for science in the future and raises the question of why the government has biologists on staff if science is no longer the basis for managing wildlife or fish?

The Auditor General’s report on grizzly bears pointed out that their status was impacted far more by habitat loss than from any effect of hunting.
    While those opposed to grizzly bear hunting may rejoice it is a sad day when emotions trump science.

Many of our members feel betrayed.

For Further Information Contact:

BCWF President Harvey Andrusak
    Email: handrusak@shaw.ca
    Phone:250-551-3674

BCWF Director of fish and wildlife restoration program Jesse Zeman
    Email: jessezeman@gmail.com
    Phone:250-878-3799

BCWF Director of Strategic Initiatives Al Martin
    Email: alan.martin1710@gmail.com
    Phone:250-480-9694

BCWF Communications
    Tel: (604) 882-9988 ext. 231
    Cell: (604) 886-2614
    communications@bcwf.bc.ca
    Make sure to Like and Share us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/BCWildlifeFederation

Twitter- @BCWildlife

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: BCWF- Grizzly hunt cancelled- Statement

Wow just wow, between Trudeau and the Provincial NDP-Greens we’re getting it from both ends.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 12-18-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Wow just wow, between Trudeau and the Provincial NDP-Greens we’re getting from both ends.
    Gotta agree with this. Dark times for sure.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Hoping that the Horgan/Weaver 'treacherous duo' will wait until the Christmas season is over before terminating the employment of their/our bear biologists.
    No need for 'science based' wildlife decisions anymore ....

Disappointed in this outcome, but I can't say I'm surprised...

And just think boys and girls they are just getting started

Well said Harvey Andrusak I'm glad you pointed out the deceit in the manner this "review" et al was handled. You'd think we'd be progressive and use the best science available in this day and age on such an important issue, but apparently science means nothing this government.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Tired of taking it dry.

NDP pissed off the Greens on Site C, and threw them a bone to stay friends...sad

and we voted them in

Should be of no surprise to anyone... anybody that supported NDP or voted for them is to blame... what have the NDP ever done well? Good for the Liberals sticking to their science-based management in this Facebook Twitter feel good political environment...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA