Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: BCWF- Grizzly hunt cancelled- Statement

Re: BCWF- Grizzly hunt cancelled- Statement

good question...has anyone given any consideration to doing anything?

^^^how do you suggest starting the fight against their decision??

So if I'm on glue, just say so. Absolutely no offense taken.
    I have a number years of "environmental" experience, but none that directly involves wildlife as it relates to hunting (and more specifically guiding). See below for Wildlife Act section 101 (1) and (2) as they relate to the Environmental Management Act.
    Lots of smarter and many more informed out there. Am I reading this wrong, or are there not people affected by the Gov't decision (one that is, based on their own admission, not based on science, but merely on a government's perception on what is "socially acceptable") regarding the Grizzly bear hunt? Guides, those that have applied for Grizzly LEH, trappers.....
    Seems like something that can, and should be forwarded to the EAB. Unless of course, I am missing something very obvious. If I am, just let me know, and I will simply kick back and have another beer.

Reasons for and notice of decisions

101 (1) The regional manager or the director, as applicable, must give written reasons for a decision that affects
    (a) a licence, permit, registration of a trapline or guiding territory certificate held by a person, or
    (b) an application by a person for anything referred to in paragraph (a).

(2) Notice of a decision referred to in subsection (1) or (1.1) must be given to the affected person.

101.1 (1) The affected person referred to in section 101 (2) may appeal the decision to the Environmental Appeal Board continued under the Environmental Management Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer_Slayer View Post
    wow..reading this thread is not encouraging. As a regular ole resident hunter I am shocked to read this squabbling shyte amongst hunters and no sign of unity. That grizzly hunting ban was introduced without so much as a whimper in the media. This ban is outrageous and we should be furious about it. 1st of all the NDP did NOT win the election. 2nd this ban was implemented on emotional grounds and NOT scientific grounds..which has been openly admitted. 3rd it cannot be legal to abruptly cancel a season for no legitimate reason, costing outfitters, guides and hunters major economic loss. A tiny group of miscreants has made major impact on our rights and nothing has been done about it!

Welcome to politics chief.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Deer_Slayer View Post
    wow..reading this thread is not encouraging. As a regular ole resident hunter I am shocked to read this squabbling shyte amongst hunters and no sign of unity. That grizzly hunting ban was introduced without so much as a whimper in the media. This ban is outrageous and we should be furious about it. 1st of all the NDP did NOT win the election. 2nd this ban was implemented on emotional grounds and NOT scientific grounds..which has been openly admitted. 3rd it cannot be legal to abruptly cancel a season for no legitimate reason, costing outfitters, guides and hunters major economic loss. A tiny group of miscreants has made major impact on our rights and nothing has been done about it!
    Doesn't matter if they didn't win the election, they made a sweetheart deal with the Greens and viola BC Libs sit on the sidelines. Might be a good thing if you consider they [libs] were going to put everything on LEH for resident hunters. At least that is what our local outfitter told us they were pushing for, and it sure looked like the libs were doing their bidding to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BCWF View Post

Government Moves Goal Posts on Grizzly Hunting

For Immediate Release December 18, 2017

Using post-truth era consultative techniques the B.C. government has now decided to ban grizzly bear hunting to all but First Nations hunters.

Government had said it was only going to ban the “trophy hunting of grizzly bears”, but has now changed its mind, and is banning grizzly bear hunting.

The government’s change of heart is rationalized based on feedback from its consultative process where it asked what should be done with the “grizzly bear parts.”

“This is the most disingenuous approach to forming public policy I have ever seen during my career inside and outside government,” said BC Wildlife Federation President Harvey Andrusak. “Government was very clear with the BCWF, that this consultative process was solely about what to do with grizzly “trophy parts”, and that discussion about the hunt itself was not the issue. The government deceived us."

This approach raises warning flags about government’s ability to act in good-faith. The government set the goal posts, and chose not to consult on grizzly bear hunting, and then changed its mind after consultation. This approach is undemocratic and contrary to open and transparent process.

With regards to grizzly bear hunting the BCWF expects closing the hunt will result in increased human-bear confrontations and attacks in both the front and backcountry.

The taxpayer will be responsible to manage bears over the long-run which will reduce the social value of grizzly bears.

The BCWF’s expects government to manage wildlife based on science, and that consultation is open and transparent.

In this case none of the expectations have been met; this approach does not bode well for science in the future and raises the question of why the government has biologists on staff if science is no longer the basis for managing wildlife or fish?

The Auditor General’s report on grizzly bears pointed out that their status was impacted far more by habitat loss than from any effect of hunting.
    While those opposed to grizzly bear hunting may rejoice it is a sad day when emotions trump science.

Many of our members feel betrayed.
    Fully disagree!

Doesn’t take a genius to figure what the future motives of the NDP were re: grizzly hunt. It was simply a continuation of the 3 year ban imposed in 2001.
    Remember the three-year moratorium on hunting grizzly which came into effect on Feb. 8, 2001 announced by Ujjal Dosanjh .
    The Liberals repealed it on July 16, 2001 after decimating the NDP in an election winning 77 out of 79 seats & resuming the fall hunt!

History repeating itself
    G & M-Mr. Dosanjh announced the hunting ban after significant local pressure and an international advertising campaign by several environmental groups.
    A group of 68 biologists have called for a moratorium until comprehensive population studies were completed. More than 100 tourism operators have also called for an end to the hunt. The most recent public-opinion poll, taken five years ago, showed 77 per cent of British Columbians wanted a ban.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Doesn't matter if they didn't win the election, they made a sweetheart deal with the Greens and viola BC Libs sit on the sidelines. Might be a good thing if you consider they [libs] were going to put everything on LEH for resident hunters. At least that is what our local outfitter told us they were pushing for, and it sure looked like the libs were doing their bidding to me.
    That's a factual inexactitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    It’s easier to call a lie a lie!
    Everyone will understand what you’re saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    It’s easier to call a lie a lie!
    Everyone will understand what you’re saying.

Does anyone have a link to any news article that explicitly states that the outright ban on griz was initiated by Weaver and the greens as a trade off for site "C" rather than some reporter interpreting it that way...it seems to me that Weaver was more into changes that included meat retention than the NDP who already had a history of banning the griz hunt....