Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey season is coming

Re: Turkey season is coming

not real sure where to start as I've always thought it was one hell of an expensive turkey.open to all the advise of the professionals for places to hunt.thx again

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Hey! I would like to hear all your opinions on increasing the bag limit on turkeys. I'm thinking 2 toms in spring and two any sex in autumn. We have a shitload of them and there are presently nuisance permits given out to kill up to 30 per person, per season. I feel that this would make it more worthwhile for people who would have to travel and the season could go for more than one morning. should I have started a new thread?
    Might work but I would like to see rules like Washington State. Tags, no Rim fire, and only one Tom per day per person. Do you know of anybody who has utilized the nuisance permit?

Looks like it will be a late start this year Work those south facing slopes the birds should be hanging close to the warm ground.

Have fun out there

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by ab3 View Post
    What's it like in terms of competition from other hunters? I've read various Washington state threads that talk about seeing tons of other hunters out and at times they end up calling for the same bird. This seems unlikely given how much habitat there is out there, but does this happen often in BC?
    not super common but it happens. A couple years ago I roosted several birds, went back before first light with buddy and both our boys. As we were working the birds hoping the boys could shoot (we could’ve shot ourselves) some guy walks in past my parked truck and shoots the gobbler. There is no way he didn’t know we were there, calling, decoy setup etc. but nothing you can do. He looked pretty sheepish when 2 little kids with sad faces walked past him on the way out...
    Twist and pull.

Hey! I would like to hear all your opinions on increasing the bag limit on turkeys. I'm thinking 2 toms in spring and two any sex in autumn. We have a shitload of them and there are presently nuisance permits given out to kill up to 30 per person, per season. I feel that this would make it more worthwhile for people who would have to travel and the season could go for more than one morning. should I have started a new thread?

I would support this if they weren’t classified as upland game birds allowing equal access to out of province hunters. I have travelled 8-12 hours each direction every year to hunt turkeys with a single bird limit. This will be the first year my son has his own limit so for the first time in a while I may get a chance to shoot one.
    Also I would agree with others that the east Kootenays population has been hammered with tough winters and bird numbers there are way down.
    Turkey hunting is my favourite hunt, they are very challenging if you are not local or hunting private land, and tons of fun calling etc.
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    I would support this if they weren’t classified as upland game birds allowing equal access to out of province hunters. I have travelled 8-12 hours each direction every year to hunt turkeys with a single bird limit. This will be the first year my son has his own limit so for the first time in a while I may get a chance to shoot one.
    Also I would agree with others that the east Kootenays population has been hammered with tough winters and bird numbers there are way down.
    Turkey hunting is my favourite hunt, they are very challenging if you are not local or hunting private land, and tons of fun calling etc.
    stop by for a beer this year, birds have wintered well

I will for sure. Still waiting to on my buddy to confirm if he and his son can make it and thus determine accommodation needs...may be calling you ahead of time!
    Good to hear about the birds!
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    I will for sure. Still waiting to on my buddy to confirm if he and his son can make it and thus determine accommodation needs...may be calling you ahead of time!
    Good to hear about the birds!
    We donated a weeks rental on the Hunter heritage raffle put on by weatherby fan, cost you $20 for a chance....you never know Eh.

March 18th this year the turkeys are a gobbling !

I heard the same is happening near Invermere! April 15th can't come soon enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    March 18th this year the turkeys are a gobbling !

Sorry , I should have said it's a guy's private land. Realize that these birds are not native and we don't know the full impact of them being here even though they are huge fun to hunt. I have noticed that the government is raising the limits on all non-native fish in our region. Turleys are very prolific and unless a predator figures them out they will keep multiplying.
    Had some interesting comments from our past regional bio at a meeting a few years ago. Reg 8 just got the new season, statement was that BC recognized the birds were invasive and in no way supported releases or relocations of the pest. When pinponted and asked why the restrictive bag limit his only answer was " to match the other regions". management at its finest
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole