Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey season is coming

Re: Turkey season is coming

Hey! I would like to hear all your opinions on increasing the bag limit on turkeys. I'm thinking 2 toms in spring and two any sex in autumn. We have a shitload of them and there are presently nuisance permits given out to kill up to 30 per person, per season. I feel that this would make it more worthwhile for people who would have to travel and the season could go for more than one morning. should I have started a new thread?
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

I am glad to see others getting excited about turkey season. I’ve honestly been waiting all year for April to come and can’t wait to try and bag one. It’s my first season so I’m giving myself ample time as I have no idea really where to go. April 12-21 so a few days to scout and lots of hunting time right at the start of the season. My birthday is April 14 so I’m hoping for a gobbler for Easter haha

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Hey! I would like to hear all your opinions on increasing the bag limit on turkeys. I'm thinking 2 toms in spring and two any sex in autumn. We have a shitload of them and there are presently nuisance permits given out to kill up to 30 per person, per season. I feel that this would make it more worthwhile for people who would have to travel and the season could go for more than one morning. should I have started a new thread?
    Dont no if the bag limit needs to be increased for most of the problem areas are were there is no hunting allowed. In many of the huntable areas the population is not that high. Now your area may be different. Im curious who is getting nuisance permits to kill 30 birds per person. Is it on land that is open to hunting in regular seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ab3 View Post
    What's it like in terms of competition from other hunters? I've read various Washington state threads that talk about seeing tons of other hunters out and at times they end up calling for the same bird. This seems unlikely given how much habitat there is out there, but does this happen often in BC?
    Just like elk hunting in the Kootenays. If you're hunting the easiest access, front country stuff you will run into hunters. A little thinking outside the box and you'll have it to yourself.

Could definitely go for an increase in bag limits on birds. It's an underutilized hunt just like antlerless whitetail.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Dont no if the bag limit needs to be increased for most of the problem areas are were there is no hunting allowed. In many of the huntable areas the population is not that high. Now your area may be different. Im curious who is getting nuisance permits to kill 30 birds per person. Is it on land that is open to hunting in regular seasons.
    Sorry , I should have said it's a guy's private land. Realize that these birds are not native and we don't know the full impact of them being here even though they are huge fun to hunt. I have noticed that the government is raising the limits on all non-native fish in our region. Turleys are very prolific and unless a predator figures them out they will keep multiplying.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

Sorry , I should have said it's a guy's private land. Realize that these birds are not native and we don't know the full impact of them being here even though they are huge fun to hunt. I have noticed that the government is raising the limits on all non-native fish in our region. Turleys are very prolific and unless a predator figures them out they will keep multiplying.
    It would make the hunting way more worth it for me personally, as it is a lot of travel to only get one bird. It seems as though the species is doing quite well and likely could do with a bit more pressure. Once a CWTF chapter gets set up in B.C., hopefully there will be more investment into studies that can provide the government with data to go by.

my son has turned 10 recently i think this would be a great opportunity to get his feet wet.if any members would be willing to throw a bone my way sure appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    my son has turned 10 recently i think this would be a great opportunity to get his feet wet.if any members would be willing to throw a bone my way sure appreciated..
    Trail/Castlegar to Elko.

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    Were abouts are you looking to go, east or west Kootenays.

And that is part of the problem there on private land, and in many towns so cant be legally hunted. In many areas of the EK on crown land there not as populated as they use to be.