Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey season is coming

Re: Turkey season is coming

The Turkeys are gobbleing. While out spotting for critters yesterday, I heard some a few miles from here. This morning, I awoke to Turkey gobbles....spring has arrived.

Last year the gobbles came early, March 09. This years first gobbles are closer to the norm coming on March, 17.

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    My daughter lives in Trail and I told her we had seen a few turkeys on the way down to her place. She said if I wanted to see lots of turkeys just go to the garbage dump.
    Last count was 86 - that from the guys that work there.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

The season is more on time this year but there is a TON of snow and it's pretty rotten, which makes it hard to get around. The snow is going fast though. Right now, if you don't see turkeys, you can look for their trails. The have been a lot getting whacked on the highways. I had a flock fly over my truck as I drove one day and I could hear their wings hitting the top of my canopy
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

Saw a flock of turkeys today (56 birds), all hens it appeared, not a long beard or jake to be seen. The other day, I was up by Duck lake, 12 to 15 Jakes in a small flock...didn't get a chance to count them...Looks like a good turkey crop survived the winter again this year...Creston valley.

I have been practicing my calls for a few months now. Not that I really know what I am doing. Also bought a shotgun with a turkey choke. I have never hunted turkeys, but I think I have a few friends who know of people with property in the west koots.

That being said, if anyone ever wants to give me a few tips, or let me come along for a hunt, I would love to learn a few things.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    I have been practicing my calls for a few months now. Not that I really know what I am doing. Also bought a shotgun with a turkey choke. I have never hunted turkeys, but I think I have a few friends who know of people with property in the west koots.

That being said, if anyone ever wants to give me a few tips, or let me come along for a hunt, I would love to learn a few things.
    Turkeys really are pretty easy. If you can call fairly effectively you can kill a bird. Quick version that has worked for me for the last 15 years.

I usually locate birds in the evening before they go to roost. If you have a known roost tree the birds really don't stand much of a chance. I have called lots of birds in both during the late afternoon and evening but I am not nearly as aggressive in the evening. It's more of a location thing to pin them down for the morning. If you are able to roost a gobbler then it is game on the next day.

Once roosted, I slip out and make sure I am back in there well before first light. Sneak in quietly to within a few hundred yards of the roost tree and set up the decoys. Once I'm settled, a few hen calls will almost always get them fired up. I find the majority of birds are out of the roost within 30-45 minutes after first light.

Turkeys are extremely habitual. They follow the same routes day after day so it's important to learn what they are. They love green areas that are recently free of snow. I see them very high in elevation each spring following the melt.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Turkeys really are pretty easy. If you can call fairly effectively you can kill a bird. Quick version that has worked for me for the last 15 years.

I usually locate birds in the evening before they go to roost. If you have a known roost tree the birds really don't stand much of a chance. I have called lots of birds in both during the late afternoon and evening but I am not nearly as aggressive in the evening. It's more of a location thing to pin them down for the morning. If you are able to roost a gobbler then it is game on the next day.

Once roosted, I slip out and make sure I am back in there well before first light. Sneak in quietly to within a few hundred yards of the roost tree and set up the decoys. Once I'm settled, a few hen calls will almost always get them fired up. I find the majority of birds are out of the roost within 30-45 minutes after first light.

Turkeys are extremely habitual. They follow the same routes day after day so it's important to learn what they are. They love green areas that are recently free of snow. I see them very high in elevation each spring following the melt.
    Thanks,

Biggest thing is locating them when you don't live in the area's they are found. Hard to scout for a turkey, but I will be going for a hunt this year. May is when I was thinking, as spring approaches I will keep tabs on snow levels and maybe adjust the "when"
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post

This is all great info guys. Spend time locating and then you hunt the next day. You can always glass and stalk - one of my favorite and grueling ways. There are lots of posts on techniques and locations

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    Thanks,

Biggest thing is locating them when you don't live in the area's they are found. Hard to scout for a turkey, but I will be going for a hunt this year. May is when I was thinking, as spring approaches I will keep tabs on snow levels and maybe adjust the "when"
    A day is usually plenty to get things figured out with turkeys. Gas lines, meadows and semi-open hillsides are some of their favorite feeding areas. One thing I've learned is to not overlook the steep stuff.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

What's it like in terms of competition from other hunters? I've read various Washington state threads that talk about seeing tons of other hunters out and at times they end up calling for the same bird. This seems unlikely given how much habitat there is out there, but does this happen often in BC?