Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feral pigs in langley??

Feral pigs in langley??

So I was driving from Burnaby to Abbotsford this afternoon and just as I'm between 264 and mt lehman I look over and swear I see a wild pig in the fruit field just beside the freeway. I was so sure I blurted "holy shit thats a wild pig" the moment I saw it. The pig was dark, maybe black colored and had that distinctive wild boar shape. This did not look like a domestic animal whatsoever. I checked out the spot in google earth and am pretty sure this was in the fields between the freeway, bradner and downes road. I noticed on GE that this area is mostly fields and forests, and probably supports a ton of thick blackberry patches to hide in as well, which is what the pig came out of.
    My other guess if this was not a feral pig, is that it is an escaped exotic breed because again, it was not a typical domestic pig.

So what do you guys think? Could this have been a feral pig in langley or some escaped exotic breed? Other ideas?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Feral pigs in langley??

I can see the news "Hunter storm Langley looking for pigs"... Swine, oh swine, you delicious beast you!
    Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it.

Ayn Rand

Dont let everuone in Langley know about it. Will be a gathering of folks for weeks of the colored pig.

Probably just some unusual breed of a domesticated pig being raised and let roam around. I know of lots of people who have them and butcher them themselves.

lots of pigs are dark and look boarlike in fact I would say most pigs raised on small farms are berkshire tamworth duroc etc crosses not the pink porky pigs that most people think of when they think pig . and btw some people do free range their pigs so if it happens to be in some farmer field it might be wise to check first lol
    Last edited by Barracuda; 03-12-2017 at 04:35 PM.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

I drive that area five days a week and there are some large Pot Belly Pigs near Bradner and the Freeway. That would my guess.

Long time ago I know there was pigs up Harrison but have not heard about them for a very long time

Lived in the area you had your sighting for 9 years seen black tail, cougar, and elk but never a feral pig

There were "Wild Pigs" in Langley 2 years. By that I mean they was a few who escaped from a farm across the border and were shot by a few Farmers on 0 Ave. Pigs are Schedule C in BC, if they are on your property shoot them.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

When I say "distinctive wild boar shape" I mean distinctive wild boar shape. Not a pot bellied pig, not a colored domestic kind either. This pig had an aggressively sloped back and shoulders tall and far higher then its rump. Very classic Russian boar shape. Google hasn't been very helpful with ID as of yet. Anytime I see a picture of a pig that looks like the one I saw the link takes me to a feral pig or wild boar site. So if it was someones pig it was some kind of exotic type. Is the aldergrove zoo missing a boar? lol

Also the area wasn't fenced off, it was just a berry field. So no chance of free range, either wild or escapee.

Even still I'm not convinced it was a feral pig either. Just wondering if it is possible given that some people have claimed to have seen them up Harrison. It was a very strange siting anyway.

You didn't careen off the road, floor it through the field and run the bugger over so you post post pictures for us cabin fever suffering keyboard warriors? shame. There is a hobby farmer up near me who has some pigs, big black buggers pushing 400 pounds, the big boar he has could easily be mistaken for a wild boar type pig.