Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey season is coming

Re: Turkey season is coming

Hmmm I just realized the regs allow turkey-hunting with a .22... Isn't that strange? Has anyone ever successfully done this? I have heard of several reports of turkey feathers stopping a .22, and turkeys surviving several hits by a .22 and flying away.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Hmmm I just realized the regs allow turkey-hunting with a .22... Isn't that strange? Has anyone ever successfully done this? I have heard of several reports of turkey feathers stopping a .22, and turkeys surviving several hits by a .22 and flying away.
    head shots or shooting while in the roost I guess. Plus you can get them at a farther distance than the shotgun or bow

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    I use a 22mag, never saw a turkey feather stop that. 1 and done.

22 mag here too. lots of leeway with hits and drops them on the spot. 22 lr can be a crap shoot with turkeys. turkeys on the move big time now. snow is retreating up the slopes with the birds right behind.

have you ever been on the far side of a field, calling in turkeys when some guy drives by and opens up with a 22? Tends to pucker the ol' sphincter. I, personally, am not in favor of them for that reason. Besides the only thing that is fun or challenging about turkey hunting is getting close enough to see them blink.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Had some interesting comments from our past regional bio at a meeting a few years ago. Reg 8 just got the new season, statement was that BC recognized the birds were invasive and in no way supported releases or relocations of the pest. When pinponted and asked why the restrictive bag limit his only answer was " to match the other regions". management at its finest
    yeah, no balls................................again
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    have you ever been on the far side of a field, calling in turkeys when some guy drives by and opens up with a 22? Tends to pucker the ol' sphincter. I, personally, am not in favor of them for that reason. Besides the only thing that is fun or challenging about turkey hunting is getting close enough to see them blink.
    no but have had a bowhunter above fort shepherd shoot my decoy then run away when I stood up and yelled...its not the weapon, its the guy or gal handling it. and for the record, last year's tom was shot in the neck at 20 yards with the 22 mag, bout blinking range I think - for a rifle, shottie or a bow. and from a treestand to boot. didn't feel like it was any less of a challenge than any other turkey hunts I've been on...have fun, be safe, kill a bird - enjoy the best hunt spring has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    no but have had a bowhunter above fort shepherd shoot my decoy then run away when I stood up and yelled...its not the weapon, its the guy or gal handling it. and for the record, last year's tom was shot in the neck at 20 yards with the 22 mag, bout blinking range I think - for a rifle, shottie or a bow. and from a treestand to boot. didn't feel like it was any less of a challenge than any other turkey hunts I've been on...have fun, be safe, kill a bird - enjoy the best hunt spring has to offer.
    ha, ha. Would have loved to see the look on his face. Too bad you didn't get video footage.
    Shooting from a tree stand at 20 yds is not what I was talking about though. Good for you.

I won the prize donated by blacktail ridge so this year my sons and I will be be hunting gobblers for the first time ever.
    Its going to be a great trip for sure.
    Just got to learn how to call them before May 1st.
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlo11 View Post
    Would love to go for turkey but wouldn't know where to begin
    Castlegar has a turkey crossing sign... 😆 I would start around there