Thread: How is the waterfowling still?

How is the waterfowling still?

Haven't gotten out to the marsh since opening day in October. How are the numbers of birds flying around this part of the season? It was a pretty wet November...

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: How is the waterfowling still?

No standing water in our club Cloverdale area, some geese passing around, might have to give EM a whirl on the reopening.
    When we get water and not a freeze up, we slay the ducks.

Birds that are around have smartened up and are stickin in saftey the last couple weeks but as CT said they should come with the rain

Slow weekend out in chwk

Saturday wasn't too bad but shooting was off at the start

Sunday we expected to be stellar with the rain but that fog kept them from moving around, only managed 5 with very few flocks coming in.

Birds seem shy and weary of coming any closer than 80 yards of the dekes. Ended up changing the spread and pulling some spinners out which helped but still was not what I was expecting from a ugly weather day when we usually do well.
    Good Old Outdoors "I was so puckered up down betweenst my butt cheeks I could have made a world class diamond that Beyonce herself couldn't even handle."

At this point in the migration, the ones sticking around are probably more local resident birds? Seems like the DU migration report in the USA is reporting higher numbers down into California now. Wish we had a migration report by DU Canada.

This is the time of the year when everyone with a robo duck is out shooting at everything passing by at 60 yards. The same dozen decoys set up in a U with 2 robos wont cut it like it does in November. Be different.
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 12-18-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Was out yesterday in the local spot. Aside from the guy that thought it was a good idea to walk out and sit out in front of me for an hour, was a great morning.

I was in a layout out in the salt marsh. Set up 4 dozen decoys set up "mix of mallard, teal, pintail and widgeon and set up my jerk line in the hole I created in middle of three groups of decoys. Birds were trying to land right beside my jerk line decoys .I got quite a mixed bag. 2 drake mallards, hen and drake bluebill, drake pintail and hen teal.

Was dead calm out though and there were literally thousands of birds rafting up about 100m out beyond that last finger of land.

My son took a limit at Ladner late Sunday afternoon.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

For Canada Geese, is it better in Ladner vs Boundary Bay or about the same?