Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why doesn't society recognize the good we do?

Re: Why doesn't society recognize the good we do?

I agree with most of what you say. All my friends and neighbours know I hunt, and I don't know any who might be called "antis." Well, okay, one, a woman in the old-time/country/rockabilly music community I hang with.

My Mrs. and me are bringing a snow goose to a seasonal gathering tonight for example. Non-hunters, but the couple we are visiting each had a hunter dad. The other guest is a Harvard educated prof who has studied bird biology intensively. She likes to eat waterfowl and does not question my hunting habit at all.

My thesis is however, that the broad public doesn't even pay attention to hunters or hunting.

Yes, there are some passionate anti hunters in the world, there are some looney hunting advocates out there too like Ted Nugent, but I really do not think we are being attacked on all sides by torch and pitchfork brandishing anti-hunting millions. I think for the most part the broad public couldn't give a fig one way or the other.

And just for discussion, I would suggest that the corporate controlled media in this country is not even remotely "left-wing."

By the way, I don't know why anti-hunting rhetoric might be equated with left politics. The most ardent communist I ever met, a well-known fisherman and union leader from Ladner was also a passionate waterfowl and moose hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    There's a lot of interest in hunting by non-hunters. My wife's friends will often comment to her "I wish my husband hunted". They're jealous of the fantastic meat we eat. True vitriolic anti-hunters are fairly rare, but very vociferous.

I do think, however, the trend away from hunting in North American society has been driven by two main factors; the urbanization of people, and the popular media's left-wing anti-hunting agenda.

I was raised on a farm. We raised livestock. We slaughtered livestock to eat. Therefore, at an early age I understood how death is required to eat meat. I also learned respect. I remember one morning when I was six or seven, I was poking at the eye of a still-born calf. My father saw me do it, and scolded me, and told me it was disrespectful to the calf, even though it was dead. I learned a important lesson there too. Urban-raised kids are simply disconnected from their food. Even many vegetarians probably have no concept of the displacement of wildlife required to grow their food.

The second reason, the media is the most vexing. In simple terms, we have been "Disneyfied" . The media promotes an idea of animals having all of the traits, emotions and even language of humans. In movies, especially kids cartoons, hunters are either portrayed as evil or as fools. It's a big problem, and we need to have the courage to address it.
    Last edited by MichelD; 12-16-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    You're correct, the "identity politics" game, where people are organized into groups based on superficial similarities is extremely dangerous. Justin Trudeau has turned identity politics into a phenomenon not seen since the early and middle of the last century. It turned out badly for millions.
    I agree, but if one must bring partisan politics into it, one must realize partisan contains "two parts". "It takes two to tango" and "for every action, one can expect an equal and opposite reaction"

Time for hunters to be bigger than that, and operate with ideas outside the partisan bickering of the plebes. Professional communicators with a well crafted, unassailable message.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    I agree, but if one must bring partisan politics into it, one must realize partisan contains "two parts". "It takes two to tango" and "for every action, one can expect an equal and opposite reaction"

Time for hunters to be bigger than that, and operate with ideas outside the partisan bickering of the plebes. Professional communicators with a well crafted, unassailable message.
    I'm not understanding your "two parts" comment. I'm simply commenting on the current environment of identity politics being played at the federal level, and that I think it's dangerous.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever