Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't society recognize the good we do?

Why doesn't society recognize the good we do?

Lately, it's seems very appetent to many on this forum that things have changed.
    There's always been "in fighting", even long before I joined etc.
    But, back when I joined in, there were lots of posts with peoples "successes" or just
    posting up their trips etc.
    Now days it's all about disagreeing about what course to take in wildlife management, or
    not wanting to post anything due to backlash (inside and outside of this community).
    Trolls etc.
    Also that the climate of "hunting acceptance" seems to be changing, mostly due to social media and enabling the Anti's to be more "organized" and their ability to post up the negatives at the
    "blink of an eye" speed.
    Anyways, I came across this video thru Facebook (yup, I actually signed up) done by the RMEF.
    Thought it had some quality points that maybe we should all consider, if we want to keep the
    "lifestyle of hunting strong".
    It's something I have been thinking about for quite some time now, and I know others are catching on to, like some of the crappy hunting shows that are out there, yet make us look absolutely ridiculous (IMO), and a big reason why I don't subscribe to those channels anymore,
    as I would rather see them "go out of business" then actually be a portrayal/representation of
    Me!, and who I am when out there hunting etc.
    Then, stuff like that G-Bear hunt that went wrong, but got tons of media attention....
    Beyond me why that ever got out there??.....I know it can happen....but never should have been for "public consumption", in my opinion....and just makes us all a "bigger target. (IMO)
    Below is the link....something to consider for all of us moving forward in the future, atleast for me, I think it has some real good points.....maybe others will disagree???
    Why the term "Sport" was used to describe hunting, rather then "Lifestyle Choice", or
    why "Trophy" seems to be such a important term inside the hunting community is beyond me.
    Maybe back then it was unforeseen what implications could come from it down the road.....
    which is today!
    And the term "trophy" is what is being used against us.
    Even when it comes to us "determining" what type of hunt we want to have in BC.
    Meaning, closing/shortening seasons all in the name of "achieving quality trophy hunts" etc.
    (yes, for some it is in their opinion, to bring back wildlife #'s....but not all....some want trophy
    sizes game).
    See what you think...give it some thought, if you haven't already.
    https://www.facebook.com/RMEF1/video...5993495166834/

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Why doesn't society recognize the good we do?

Video is spot on. Makes a great point. Even within the hunting community i have received strange looks and odd remarks when explaining that some of my noat memorable hunts were not hunts at all.

My first grizzly encounter. Watching coyotes with the spotter play together and throw sticks to themselves. Observing bighorn sheep graze in a blizzard.

All such powerful experiences.

I do struggle to explain to all people (hunters, antis and neutrals) how i can love these animals, but turn around and kill one the next day.

Tough battle but im rooting for the team.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispryn View Post
    I do struggle to explain to all people (hunters, antis and neutrals) how i can love these animals, but turn around and kill one the next day.
    This.

Wild animals are, to me, the most wonderful things in the world. I love seeing deer and moose year round, whether I can shoot them or not. I love seeing bears, elk, sheep, goats, caribou etc, at any time, even if I'm not hunting for them, not holding a tag, and never held a tag for them. I'd hunt any of them in a heart beat if given the opportunity, it just hasn't come up yet. I'll be in a hurry to drive somewhere and spot a nice buck on the side of the road, i'll often watch until it leaves. Then show to up 10 minutes late. Not everyone understands, even with PICS!!

The one thing I can't wrap my head around is how the public thinks we're evil and want to kill everything. I'd argue that there are no groups as dedicated to the long lasting survival of our game species than the hunters.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispryn View Post
    Video is spot on. Makes a great point. Even within the hunting community i have received strange looks and odd remarks when explaining that some of my noat memorable hunts were not hunts at all.

My first grizzly encounter. Watching coyotes with the spotter play together and throw sticks to themselves. Observing bighorn sheep graze in a blizzard.

All such powerful experiences.

Tough battle but im rooting for the team.

Chris
    I like to think I've done a decent job explaining the support and the killing to all uninformed outside of this forum.

But I have no way to explain trapping. I've posted a thread on that years ago and it got zero replies.

I simply can't think of a good way to explain trapping animals (that often probably suffer for a while before dieing) to people who bring it up.

I feel that way exactly. These animals are incredible.

I like to think of hunting as it really is to me.
    Hunting to me is so much more than killing an animal. The actual killing is probably the smallest part of the whole process. This is for me, hunting from a backpack almost always overnight. Maybe not the case for everyone. So every hunt, with or without meat is an accomplishment, a success and an unforgettable experience but never a failure.

I tend to shy away from the arguements with antis as they really are uneducated on the matter and no one ever wins that "discussion". Next time it comes up i will try again.

I dont know. It really is a tough gig. Maybe they can draw a line down the continent. Hunters on one side, antis on the other. Lets see who has better and healthier wildlife populations in 50 years

Chris

As a new hunter, I'm turned off by seeing shotgun shells and other garbage just strewn in parts of the forest. I'm also turned off by dudes who tell stories of shooting multiple times at deer 400-500 yards away, just hoping something hits. I'm also turned off at the hostility from some people towards other hunters who may have a different opinion on things.

I have been quite open to almost everybody I meet about my new passion for hunting and I have yet to meet an "Anti.". I live in Vancouver too. And have friends from hippies to Asians to architects to trades people.

Seeing it as us versus them probably is not the right perspective.

I agree with Oceanmon, the issue is not an us versus them matter. Whether you are a consumptive or non consumptive user of wildlife it is the fact that you are in the woods. Loss of habitat is the biggest problem facing wild life, resource extraction, urban sprawl, agricultural practices are all factors that are beyond our control. We can stop bickering about why we are in the woods and take a look at the bigger picture.IMO

Is it or is it not morally acceptable to end the life of another creature? Most of the people that say no are uneducated to the way nature works, and to the damage done even by living a vegetarian/vegan diet.

Life feeds on life. Many people are uncomfortable with this fact, and those vegans etc who want to cause no harm have their hearts in the right place, but the methodology falls apart upon inspection.

It is counter intuitive to most that a strong, well funded and managed hunting population can have a net benifit to wildlife. People tend to focus on the individual animal, and not look at the species population as a whole. It can take a while to explain why an antlerless deer season can positively effect herd health, but the conversation is worth having.

When you bring large, charismatic predators to the conversation, things get weird. It seems to me that the anti hunting part of society cries over every dead wolf, but could give a shit about mountain caribou going extinct.

The earth's population reached one billion for the first time in about 1804, two billion in 1927,3 billion in 1960 and sits at 7.6 billion currently.
    In 1804 and 1927 a child's earliest ' education' would be hearing fairy tales that largely depicted in some fashion the reality of the time, which was that man was in conflict with nature in order to scrape out an exsistence.
    Today, a child learns from the earliest age that mankind is the enemy of the planet. This is baseline mentality that is programmed into the mind of virtually everyone. Obviously killing animals is emotional. Sad to say, but you can win the odd person over through logical discussion but emotion and baseline programming are very difficult to counter.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Is it or is it not morally acceptable to end the life of another creature? Most of the people that say no are uneducated to the way nature works, and to the damage done even by living a vegetarian/vegan diet.

Life feeds on life. Many people are uncomfortable with this fact, and those vegans etc who want to cause no harm have their hearts in the right place, but the methodology falls apart upon inspection.

It is counter intuitive to most that a strong, well funded and managed hunting population can have a net benifit to wildlife. People tend to focus on the individual animal, and not look at the species population as a whole. It can take a while to explain why an antlerless deer season can positively effect herd health, but the conversation is worth having.

When you bring large, charismatic predators to the conversation, things get weird. It seems to me that the anti hunting part of society cries over every dead wolf, but could give a shit about mountain caribou going extinct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajsawden View Post
    The one thing I can't wrap my head around is how the public thinks we're evil and want to kill everything. I'd argue that there are no groups as dedicated to the long lasting survival of our game species than the hunters.

Cheers!
    If someone is against hunting, but is not a vegan/vegetarian, they are indirectly responsible for the killing of far more animals than any one hunter. Chickens, cows, pigs, turkeys, sheep, etc, where all raised for one reason and one reason only, to supply the DEMAND of those who want to buy and then eat their dead carcass or parts of their bodies from a grocery store or restaurant. Not to mention that some other person saw that they could make a profit (or at the very least a living) from the supply of these animals for societies demand. (Last time I checked, farmers are still held in a fairly good light, and to a lesser degree all the middle men who get the food from the farm to the store)
    Hellloooo anti hunting society? Major disconnect from reality here. Just because the raising and slaughter of these animals is kept out of general sight, and the meat placed in neat little packages at the store or you went and bought a "McHappy Meal", doesn't mean you are not the cause of the death of countless animals. The last "golden arches" sign I paid attention to a few days ago stated "billions and billions served". Hmmmmmm? How many billions of animals have died to make that statement true?
    Give me a break anti hunting society. We all have the blood of animals on our hands, anti's figuratively, and successful hunters literally. At least we hunters have the courage to perform the unsavory deed ourselves.
    Last edited by Buckmeister; 12-16-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""