Thread: Coyote hunting and hide care. Father & son. Farm / Ranch land?

Coyote hunting and hide care. Father & son. Farm / Ranch land?

All,

I know, bad title.

Deer season is over for us.

My son is 13, great kid, very respectful and helpful. Listens.

We want to hunt some predators, mainly looking at coyotes. A couple reasons come to mind, first is predator control in the areas we hunt deer. Second is that we'd like to keep our deer hide next year if we get one and want to learn to handle it correctly, we could send it out but I like to do things myself. Also, we want a couple coyote skulls. One for us to display and any extra I may donate to his school if they'll take them. Give some to friends, etc.

We are in the lower mainland and I'd rather stick closer to the city but we're willing to travel if we find a good area. We head out to Harrison West fairly regular but never have gone to the east side. We pretty well stay away from Stave, it's a gong show though we have seen a single coyote there. Harrison West we've never seen nor heard a coyote and I know the area fairly well, we spent over a month (maybe more) there in the last two years camping and exploring. Scared to think how many km I put on the Jeep and how much gas was wasted.

We've never tried calling but are going to. I built a homemade ecaller that I control wirelessly via my phone and a raspberry pi. (credit card sized computer)

We're looking for some location ideas and calling tips. If you want to PM me a spot that works as well.

If you have a farm, or some land and would not mind a father / son shooting some coyotes, or other vermin please send me a PM. We'd be willing to help around the land as well. He could use some experience of that kind, good kid but needs a good lesson in working.. city kids.. If it's a longer drive from the lower mainland which I suspect it would be we're probably ok with that if you don't mind us camping out in our small trailer either on the land or somewhere nearby. Also, this would not have to be immediately. No rush, even after winter is fine even though hides won't be as nice.

We're also interested in learning how to care for a hide once it's removed, if anyone is interested let me know. Again, we're willing to travel. Learning from an experienced trapper would be great.
    Last edited by Lugg; 12-14-2017 at 01:31 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Coyote hunting and hide care. Father & son. Farm / Ranch land?

Also, I have done a lot of research on coyote hunting. I feel like I have the method down pretty well but am looking for local tips, most of what I see is in the US and some of those guys do things we're simply not allowed to do here.

Thanks!