Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: trapline fun

trapline fun

Well guys ,just had my best day ever on the line. First reason I had my son Cole with me ,he is 13 and really getting into it. Secondly lots of critters we caught 3 lynx 3 erma and 4 wolves . It was our first attempt at a bait pile and snaring and I guess it worked .
    We left Langley Saturday afternoon and were at the cabin by 4 pm ,lit the fire and decided to go check a few traps while it heated up.The roads have being plowed on some of the lower parts of the line due to logging so off we went. 3rd trap in and we got a extra large lynx , that got things pumped up so we decided to check the entire lower portion of the line. The next 5 or 6 traps had nothing a couple were missing bait so we re-baited them and tried some new lure. Next was the bait pile ,Cole said lets leave the best for last and we continued up the line. If he know what was waiting for us i'm sure we wouldn't have gone by. 2 traps after the bait pile another lynx ,this was starting to be a great night. Well the last 4 traps in this area are up a steep hill and with the new snow we were not going to make it. After a couple km hike and nothing to show for it ,we headed to the cabin.
    But first we checked the bait pile, grabbing the flashlights we slowly entered the area and could see there had been a lot of activity. The 200 pounds of bait from the previous week was almost gone and there were bones everywhere. We started looking for snares, at the first spot we had 2 hanging we could only see one. The other was around the neck of our first wolf, it was a juvenile gay not the big black we were hoping for but it was a wolf. Slowly we made our way through the trees to check out the other snares. 15 feet away we had another and 6 feet from that one we had our 3rd all were juveniles , we were on cloud nine. We decided to back out and come back in the morning did not want to disturb the area in the dark. On the way back to the cabin we followed 3 sets of wolf tracks 2 very large and 1 smaller set. 9 km from the cabin we came to a y in the road, with 4 more cat boxes up the one branch of road. So we were already excited about our catch and thought dinner could wait another 20 min. First three traps nothing but on the 4th we had something. As we climbed over the bank we could see gray , great another lynx . No it was another wolf, a wolf caught in a 330 something I think is quite rare. With the lower end of the line checked we headed back to the cabin for dinner and movie along with a great sleep.
    Sunday morning came early and we were off to the bait pile to see our bounty. It was almost what we could see the night before but the amount of activity was amazing. All the snow was compacted there were track every where. After a close look at all the snares we had 3 wolves but it looked like some wolfs had stayed behind after the 3 were snared. There was a dusting of snow on the snared wolfs but some tracks were fresh. We looked at the trail camera and yes there were wolfs on the bait pile right up till Saturday at 2:14 pm days after the wolfs were caught. Well it was already noon and we had to hit another area of the line. It was one of those days on the line that just seemed perfect Sunny,-2 ,3 inches of new snow and with your new trapping partner. We got on our snowmobiles and checked all our higher traps and only came out with 2 erma and a lynx but what a day it was. Well I have a bunch of pictures just need to get them on there, anyone know the best way?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: trapline fun

Great work trapman....it doesn’t get much better than that!

Very cool that you get to share that with your boy. Nice work

Well done indeed thank you for saving the deer and moose..love to see the photos.
    Cheers and Congradulations to both trappers
    Steven

Excellent read ! I am surprised at the Wolfs actvity ! Thks for Sharing - really want to see the pics ! RJ

Way to go i was in 100 mile predator hunting no luck but will go a few more times.Not much snow yet up high pretty easy livin for the ungulates so far.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Sorry guys trying to load pics but what a hassel