Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consider sending an email or arranging a meeting

Consider sending an email or arranging a meeting

Just sent another email to my MLA to thank the government for the funding increase and advocate for habitat and wildlife population management objectives as well as more funding in the future. I am trying to arrange another meeting. Consider doing the same! The BCWF and BC-BHA has a lot of good suggestions for what to talk about. Check out the EatWild podcast and Rookie Hunter podcast with Jesse Zeman as a guest to learn about all the things that BC could be doing better to help wildlife numbers.

"The “greatest good for the greatest number” applies to the number within the womb of time, compared to which those now alive form but an insignificant fraction. Our duty to the whole, including the unborn generations, bids us restrain an unprincipled present-day minority from wasting the heritage of these unborn generations. The movement for the conservation of wild life and the larger movement for the conservation of all our natural resources are essentially democratic in spirit, purpose, and method."

~Theodore Roosevelt

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Consider sending an email or arranging a meeting

Hey Alex,

Good job on the lettter writing! I've been considering doing the same. With a thank you for the additional funds for the COS, but I plan to stress the need for more funding and a concrete wildlife management model.

I feel like the last letter I wrote had some traction and led to a positive conversation with our MLA and the local newspaper.

Those references that you suggest are excellent and if I may add Shane Mahoney http://conservationvisions.com/ for more inspiration.

100% Agreed that Shane Mahoney is another great resource for adding info to advocacy. I went to the Beers for Wild Things event in Vancouver and it was really good to connected with other hunting, habitat and angling advocates.

Good stuff you guys...I have emailed my MLA but can't say I've met with him...what's this bit of news I'm missing, mind posting the link?? More funding just to the COS, but no more to habitat/inventory counts etc?? Which is still good for sure, better than nothing..

Pemby_mess Guest

Often positive feedback goes further than complaints. Good job identifying an opportunity for praise in a arena that is often overwhelmed with negativety

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Good stuff you guys...I have emailed my MLA but can't say I've met with him...what's this bit of news I'm missing, mind posting the link?? More funding just to the COS, but no more to habitat/inventory counts etc?? Which is still good for sure, better than nothing..
    Suprised no organizations have got this out?? Usually those with influence are asked for a quote. In any event while not enough this is a start for more funding for wildlife

https://www.agassizharrisonobserver....ery-campsites/

Another thing to consider when writing a letter is getting more people behind your sentiments. What I did with my last letter about the state of wildlife conservation in BC was, I wrote it on behalf of my rod and gun club. The board reviewed and endorsed the letter. The president's signature as well as my name was on the letter. It was considered the official statement of all members of the club. Instead of my letter being sent as my personal view it was as though the 400+ members of my club had sent it. I believe it carried a lot more weight then If I had sent it myself.

Here are the budget highlights. Page 7 is where conservation related stuff is.

http://bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2018/highl...Highlights.pdf

Wow! I just glanced at the page seven in your link, Alex. The amount of money allocated for wildlife management (left side of the page) is rarher pathetic in comparison to the amount of money flowing on the right side of the page.
    We need to push for more! Much more!

Finding it very hard to bite my tongue after reading adding the numbers up on the right side...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..