Thread: Any refrigeration mechanic on here?

Any refrigeration mechanic on here?

I am looking at making a portion of my totally enclosed trailer refrigerated. I am wondering if it is possible to take the compressor from a deep freeze and essentially duplicate whatever is inside the freezer and set up inside my trailer? I've heard of guys using the coolbot, but I'm just not a huge fan of cutting a big hole into the side of my trailer for the AC unit.
    Sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't go. That's just the way she goes Ricky

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Any refrigeration mechanic on here?

What's the budget? Maybe a dedicated cooling unit would be better, but the thing is, the evaporator needs to be on the outside of the unit, or in your case, outside of the unit, but inside the trailer, and that would require ventilation.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    What's the budget? Maybe a dedicated cooling unit would be better, but the thing is, the evaporator needs to be on the outside of the unit, or in your case, outside of the unit, but inside the trailer, and that would require ventilation.
    Yes, I'm aware it would need to be outside. All the piping would need to be cut, custom fit and then the system would need to be recharged of course. I'm just wondering what this type of project would cost and whether or not it's even a good idea from a refrigeration point of view
    Sometimes she goes, sometimes she don't go. That's just the way she goes Ricky

Moved over to facebook messenger. lol
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

yes you cant but a fan inside is a must a small one. And for your lining inside i use them plastic truck bed liners as even if the meat lays against the wall the air is still getting behind it. Oh and allso need air to get in

defrosting will be your enemy on this set up

might work good the heat exchanger in your living quarters would act as a heat though
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

i did mine years ago it is a coil and fan heats the front of the trailer as one side cooler atv on the other and diesel stove up front in 37 min with new moose in 37 deg and air moving

We built ours using equipment from a commercial 8x10 walk in cooler.
    Power consumption was 115v 12amps for everything and required a 3500 watt generator to run for us.
    Issues we had were cracked copper pipes due to FSR vibration. Fixed with extra foam bracing on anything that could vibrate.
    Also issues with low ambient temp and cold compressor start up. Fixed with crankcase heater and fan cycle controls.
    We cut a vent into the side of the trailer and built a portable cooler package with the condensor in an insulated box vented through the vent louvers. Evap hung from this metal rack and also the rack doubled as a meat pole.
    It worked awesome except the time the pipe cracked and lost all the refrigerant. A local in Dawson creek lent me all
    his tools and torch to fix everything up and that saved our cooler on that trip.