Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wall Tent Heater Options

Wall Tent Heater Options

I am purchasing a 14 x 14 wall tent this year with plans to use it for elk, goat, and deer hunting with temps ranging from +20 to -30. I am currently building a nice sized wood stove for the tent but have come across an article on the military Hunter SHA multi fuel stove and it looks interesting as it can be used for wood, coal, diesel, kerosene, and jet fuel. Has anyone ever used one of these and if so how well did it work in regards to switching from solid to liquid fuel and back again. I was thinking that during really cold temps it would be nice to use the diesel for an all night sleep without having to stoke the fire...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wall Tent Heater Options

Stoke your partner with beer, he'll have to get up , then he can stoke the fire as well.

I have a US Army surplus multi-fuel stove. about the size of a keg of beer. Mine takes Jet A/B, kerosene and diesel. It isn't easy to convert to solid fuel because the insides are different. I don't think I could switch between solid and liquid fuels while the stove was warm.

Love the stove though. Very nice to leave it on low and wake up to a warm tent.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

We use a drift boat heater like this

http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/540...op-heater.html

and a wood stove.

The propane is for taking the chill off in the morning, drying cloths out quickly if needed and, if really needed (no wood) the main heat source. The wood stove is our prime source of heat and we all have 4 and 5 star woods sleeping bags, so no one really gets cold.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I’ve done the beer and partner thing before but sometimes it will be the kids and they don’t like beer...yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Stoke your partner with beer, he'll have to get up , then he can stoke the fire as well.
    Or if your hunting partner is a She - Then she can Stoke the fire and then you can Stoke her ! You both Keep WARM ! jmo RJ

I’ve saw the heater you are talking about but the one I’m looking at is like the one in the video in the link below.

https://youtu.be/9ZPRg_zQMVw

Tbis one might be easier to switch but I’m not 100% sure. It’s als more expensive so I thought if someone else has tried it I don’t have to be the mule...

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I have a US Army surplus multi-fuel stove. about the size of a keg of beer. Mine takes Jet A/B, kerosene and diesel. It isn't easy to convert to solid fuel because the insides are different. I don't think I could switch between solid and liquid fuels while the stove was warm.

Love the stove though. Very nice to leave it on low and wake up to a warm tent.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Or if your hunting partner is a She - Then she can Stoke the fire and then you can Stoke her ! You both Keep WARM ! jmo RJ
    I like your thinking, I’ll have to see if the wife likes the idea!!!��

We use a diesel stove in ours. Works good but runs through fuel. Usually 7-10 L per night below freezing. Building a keg wood stove this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    We use a diesel stove in ours. Works good but runs through fuel. Usually 7-10 L per night below freezing. Building a keg wood stove this summer.
    I’m building a nice woodstove as well that should be big enough to last most of a night when it’s fairly cold out but I thought the ability to switch back and forth would be great if it was easy to do. The YouTube video is ok and shows how it’s done, which seems simple, but its only done with a nice clean, unused stove and by someone who has done it many times. Kids love the idea of the wall tent, they sleep in my small canvas tent all summer while I sleep in the trailer, I don’t think the missus is sold on it yet though!