Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves Everywhere

Re: Wolves Everywhere

First year of the wolf GOS I walked into a area that I spotted cow elk the night before, trying to get to a vantage area and the wind at my back, I hurried in before first light.
    After a half hour of walking I noticed something next to the trail in the high grass and stopped to have a look. At first I thought it was a bobcat flicking it's ear at me, and with he wind still at my back
    I was almost certain that it was one. When it stood up and turned towards me I could see that it was a dog and not a cat, as it started to gate towards me I realized that it was a wolf and not a coyote.
    I then got to one knee and jacked a round and fired as it continued at me. It then spun around from the impact and darted into the marsh grass like a ghost. As I reloaded my gun and backed into a tree,
    the rest of the pack lit up all around me. I took my video camera out with one hand and rifle in the other, I video taped the pack howling all around me. It was one of the predator /prey moments that I
    will never forget. I followed the blood trail for 200 yards into a thick area and backed out for fear of getting tooled.
    The next morning I went back in and howled at first light to have the pack fire up again. My hunting buddy almost shit his pant when the mountain lit up, he didn't believe me until he had the hair stand
    on the back of his neck. I shot one more that morning and we both had the large male at twenty yards wing past us, too exciting!

That pack is still there years later and the ungulate population is at a all time low. This is a area that I have hunted for 30 years and I have never seen it so bad.

I know of many areas in Region 8 that are suffering the same way, and I hate to say this but hunters we won't even touch the numbers.

Picked up 4 on the trap line last weekend ,heading back up tomorrow to put out 2 more bait piles

Hunting wolves.... Good idea. I could use some more pepperoni sticks

Ocean man ?

3/4 of a degree North of 60, and a little west of 135

and if FLNRO would turn up the heat on inactive trap lines it might help to...

RC

WELL SAID TUFFCITY !!!!!!
    crock of shit system for a guy that all he wants to do is trap

Trapping wolves is an art. Think large road killed frozen moose left in the bush for weeks/months while the traps are around it and the trapper checks every day if anything is present.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by northernbc View Post
    Ocean man ?
    Ill guess ocean moon
    Last edited by Drillbit; 12-14-2017 at 10:36 AM.

1080 is the only real solution worked like a charm in 50's & 60's

Quote Originally Posted by OceanMon View Post
    Hunting wolves.... Good idea. I could use some more deer, moose, elk pepperoni sticks
    : ) : ) : ) : )