Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves Everywhere

Wolves Everywhere

Wolves are getting to be very numerous in the West Kootenay. I spent last week at our cabin a couple hours north of Nelson, and did a lot of hiking. EVERYWHERE I went there were wolf tracks in the snow, up each and every road.... I even found a wolf-killed deer, which is amazing since between the wolves and cats, there are almost no deer around anymore. Anyway, it's all very disheartening, and I will try my best to thin the wolves out this winter. At least until the NDP/Greens decide to ban wolf hunting.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolves Everywhere

Bummer, but not surprising. It's been 15 years since I saw my first wolf on the border south of you ("Salmo pack on this map) & the wolves have been immigrating to Canada from the US ever since. We should get Trump to build us the wall here! lol

Good luck!

Here's their origin in NE Washington - across the border from the W. Kootenays. They are working their way north & west from their reintroduction in Idaho. This little corner (~30 x 30 miles) holds the majority of WA wolves & they are already killing ~100 cattle per year (imagine how many deer). Wolves are still protected as endangered species in WA & the pro-wolf group want another 10 year ban on hunting them... https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...attle-country/

Last edited by steepNdeep; 12-12-2017 at 09:28 PM.
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir

Sounds like the PG area about 7 years ago....I would be out and there were wolf tracks on every road we were working on. Saw very little game those following years. It does seem now that the game population is maybe starting to come around a little and will hopefully rebound with a declined wolf population and a few milder winters.

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    Sounds like the PG area about 7 years ago....I would be out and there were wolf tracks on every road we were working on. Saw very little game those following years. It does seem now that the game population is maybe starting to come around a little and will hopefully rebound with a declined wolf population and a few milder winters.
    Yeah, I imagine starvation may be a reality for those wolves, as there is so little game
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Less than a month ago I heard the regional bio being quoted as saying there are 5 or 6 super packs of 30 to 50 wolves working the areas around PG. Based on what I hear, the pops are still swirling.

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

The Okanagan is packing up also, wolf tracks all over the valley. Sightings from all the late season hunters with the same conclusion, no game and no luck hunting.

It has become way easier to find a place to hunt them, but to think hunters will stand a chance of reducing the population, good luck.
    That's usually the end result.

Lots of wolves in 3-28 & 3-29. Many tracks lower down in the mule deer winter range which is were a lot of whitetails normally hang out.

I had a pack of 9 walk past a trail cam a couple of weeks ago. They were maybe 20mins. from Christina Lake and were in the valley floor. First time to have them that low on my cams.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Wolves are getting to be very numerous in the West Kootenay. I spent last week at our cabin a couple hours north of Nelson, and did a lot of hiking. EVERYWHERE I went there were wolf tracks in the snow, up each and every road.... I even found a wolf-killed deer, which is amazing since between the wolves and cats, there are almost no deer around anymore. Anyway, it's all very disheartening, and I will try my best to thin the wolves out this winter. At least until the NDP/Greens decide to ban wolf hunting.
    That will be the last one cause they only kill 1% eh..
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Yeah, I imagine starvation may be a reality for those wolves, as there is so little game
    Maybe not so..they just move ...very mobile beast.but pup litter could be smaller coming year..