Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves Everywhere

Re: Wolves Everywhere

Unfortunately wolves all over WK now. I place part of the blame on biologists trying to manage/reduce prey populations to aid Caribou. I think this has backfired big time. They increased moose authorizations and now there are hardly any left in Revy from what I hear. Wolves have spread to the south in a big way now as a result.

I keep thinking they are going to starve to death but it hasn't happened yet��. Going to make a serious effort to reduce predator populations this winter.
    Live to Hunt...

I heard today, that a butcher in kamloops has said worst year ever for him!

Everyone kill a grizz next year and a few black bears then maybe some poison gets spilled on it and it accidentally falls out of your truck or snowmobile.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

This Late September my buddy was sneaking into an area in Region 8 at the crack of dawn to do some calling for elk. He could barely see when he saw some shadows moving at the end of a meadow just inside the timber. At first he thought they were coyotes and didn't want to wreck his elk hunt.
    As they drifted closer he realized he was in the middle of a pack of wolves. He saw one to the left and one to the right. Both seems to know he was there. ...then he realized there was another in the middle coming straight at him at 3/4 run. He hurriedly raised his rifle and clicked the safety off. As soon as the charging wolf heard the 'click', it turned 90 deg and hit the timber running. He tried to get a shot off but with the poor light and dark timber he couldn't quite get it done. A second later another wolf streaked past him.
    When the charging wolf turned it was less than 20 yards away.
    Moments later 3 more lit up from across the lake. Probably 8 in total.

For the rest of the day every time he bugled the wolves would start howling. Needless to say he didn't see and elk that day.

I returned with him the next weekend with the Foxpro but it was windy all weekend and not the best for calling.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Maybe someone could start a thread 'how to hunt wolves'. I have no idea, but would welcome an excuse to get out in the bush after deer season ends.

If the avid hunters on here put in as much time and effort to kill preds as they do to kill ungulates there may be less of a problem..

I know I plan to spend a bunch of time afield looking for totes and wolf's this winter..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    If the avid hunters on here put in as much time and effort to kill preds as they do to kill ungulates there may be less of a problem..

I know I plan to spend a bunch of time afield looking for totes and wolf's this winter..
    Agreed, I need to get out a handful of times this winter and do some calling and see if I can knock a wolf or two down.

Next year the plan is to keep a freezer with scraps and set up a good bait next Nov/Dec and hunt them hard. Just need to find a good spot out of the way that I can get to without a snow machine or quad. Easier said than done!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post

agreed. I’m going to put in an effort this winter
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by Sangstercraft View Post
    Maybe someone could start a thread 'how to hunt wolves'. I have no idea, but would welcome an excuse to get out in the bush after deer season ends.
    There's been many of those threads.

Wolves are a very cagey animal. What works once, won't work again. And what works somewhere might not work everywhere else.

Great to read some guys are willing to give it a try. I spend lots of time all winter hunting dogs and only get one or 2 wolves a year,
    usually around 20 coyotes.

As others have said, I thought they'd starve off by now as there isn't much for tracks (other than wolf) in entire river systems, but they seem to be doing just fine. Hopefully they'll start feeding on black bears soon, as it's nothing to drive around and see 30 of them per day in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by steepNdeep View Post
    Bummer, but not surprising. It's been 15 years since I saw my first wolf on the border south of you ("Salmo pack on this map) & the wolves have been immigrating to Canada from the US ever since. We should get Trump to build us the wall here! lol

Good luck!

Here's their origin in NE Washington - across the border from the W. Kootenays. They are working their way north & west from their reintroduction in Idaho. This little corner (~30 x 30 miles) holds the majority of WA wolves & they are already killing ~100 cattle per year (imagine how many deer). Wolves are still protected as endangered species in WA & the pro-wolf group want another 10 year ban on hunting them... https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...attle-country/

Big time problems with our friends in Washington state also!

Lots of wolf threads to show for it...

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?board=76.0
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..