Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wolves Everywhere

Re: Wolves Everywhere

A little history of predator control in BC

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...context=vpcone

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by Sangstercraft View Post
    Maybe someone could start a thread 'how to hunt wolves'. I have no idea, but would welcome an excuse to get out in the bush after deer season ends.
    If you check my threads, I did give a detailed description how to go about to be successful.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    To answer your questions even tho you threw them out to tigrr....

1. What gets caught in a snare is usually dead....snares are a bit target specific depending on height and placement but they aren’t real forgiving.

2. You need a trapping course to get a license. The amount of canine trapping know how in the BC trapping course is very limited. My advice to anyone serious about trapping wolves is to access a canine specific trapping seminar or find a mentor that is successful at catching canine predators.
    You either need to own a trap line or else you can trap on private land of your own or private land belonging to another party if you acquire their written permission to do so.

3. Many wolves will not re enter a bait station if they watch pack members die there in snares.
    Many times they will not even approach a carcass in another location if they pick up that man has been on the scene.

This is is why leghold traps shine....they can be a pain in the ass because of the fact that a trap is more time consuming to set, not as weather forgiving as a snare and needs checked more often but the benefit is that any pack member caught was alive right there, foot in a trap but alive as far as any other pack members were concerned.
    If that trapped wolf is properly euthanized and properly removed from the trap scene the surviving members of the pack will come back to where their family member was last visually seen.
    Its only on the very rare occasion that the entire pack cannot be picked off at one trap site using only a small number of leg holds.

A lot lot of people can’t get their head around this method of wolf reduction, they’d rather go out and pick away at pack....kill some wolves....leave some wolves and move on.
    Really this is just wolf farming....for the most part the wolf problem never goes away.

I’ve been privileged in what I do....I’ve met some of the best guys in the business when it comes to dealing with wolves and other carnivores for that matter.
    What those guys will show you or tell you in person you will never read in a published article.
    Ok awesome thank you..