Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves Everywhere

Re: Wolves Everywhere

disease is pretty effective at lowering populations also, at least temporarily. came across this article

http://www.timberwolfinformation.org...wstone-wolves/

Distemper devastates Yellowstone wolves

Written by Gib Mathers
    Distemper, an often fatal disease common in carnivores, had a devastating effect on Yellowstone National Park wolves last year, especially northern packs. But the disease may have run its course, a Yellowstone official said.
    Across the park, the population has declined 27 percent, from 171 wolves in 2007 to 124 in 2008.
    Wolf numbers dropped by 40 percent in the northern range, the most concentrated wolf community, from 94 wolves in 2007 to 56 wolves in 2008, said Yellowstone Wolf Project Leader Doug Smith.
    Distemper is more likely to spread in denser populations such as the northern range, Smith said.
    In the interior, the decline was 11 percent — from 77 in 2007 to 68 in 2008, Smith said.
    Puppies are the most susceptible to the viral disease, which affects respiratory, gastrointestinal and central nervous systems. But adults can contract the disease too, through secretions, especially saliva.
    Distemper was here long before wolves arrived in Yellowstone in 1995, and the disease is spread by all predators, Smith said. Other carnivores can spread the disease from chewing on the same carcass.
    Eight puppies were born in the northern range and 14 in the interior last year, Smith said.
    Inoculating for distemper requires three injections. That would be expensive, and catching all the wolves in the park likely would not be possible, he said.
    The good news is the 2008 distemper outbreak probably is over, he said.
    Smith said he believes the population can recover. Distemper clobbered park wolves In 1999 and 2005 as well.
    “Both times, they bounced back,” he said.

Mange also killed two or three wolves in 2008. Currently, 20 wolves are suffering from mange across the park, Smith said.
    “It’s the worst year yet for mange,” Smith said, adding he hopes it does not increase this year.
    Mange is a parasitic infection of the skin. It can weaken the animal, making it susceptible to infections and other problems that can lead to death, a Yellowstone news release said.
    The number of breeding pairs dropped from 10 to six in 2008. That’s the lowest since 2000, the news release said.
    Distemper and mange aren’t the only slayers.
    Wolves often kill each other competing for food or territory, and population density could contribute to an increase in wolf-on-wolf mortality, the release said.
    A mountain lion will kill a wolf occasionally, but the only unequivocal wolf predators are humans, Smith said.
    Wildlife biologists say the Yellowstone wolf population has recovered, and wolf numbers can be expected to fluctuate like other wildlife species, according to the release.

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    First year of the wolf GOS I walked into a area that I spotted cow elk the night before, trying to get to a vantage area and the wind at my back, I hurried in before first light.
    After a half hour of walking I noticed something next to the trail in the high grass and stopped to have a look. At first I thought it was a bobcat flicking it's ear at me, and with he wind still at my back
    I was almost certain that it was one. When it stood up and turned towards me I could see that it was a dog and not a cat, as it started to gate towards me I realized that it was a wolf and not a coyote.
    I then got to one knee and jacked a round and fired as it continued at me. It then spun around from the impact and darted into the marsh grass like a ghost. As I reloaded my gun and backed into a tree,
    the rest of the pack lit up all around me. I took my video camera out with one hand and rifle in the other, I video taped the pack howling all around me. It was one of the predator /prey moments that I
    will never forget. I followed the blood trail for 200 yards into a thick area and backed out for fear of getting tooled.
    The next morning I went back in and howled at first light to have the pack fire up again. My hunting buddy almost shit his pant when the mountain lit up, he didn't believe me until he had the hair stand
    on the back of his neck. I shot one more that morning and we both had the large male at twenty yards wing past us, too exciting!

That pack is still there years later and the ungulate population is at a all time low. This is a area that I have hunted for 30 years and I have never seen it so bad.

I know of many areas in Region 8 that are suffering the same way, and I hate to say this but hunters we won't even touch the numbers.
    Crazy story, cool experience....I wish we as hunters could fund our own aerial shooting program, with the government having our backs....maybe the next time the BC Liberals get in??

I went to an area for a deer hunt, with all the wolf sign it quickly turned into a wolf hunt, I did shoot a wolf but I put a poor shot on it and tracked it for 2 days but it was still alive and I backed out and was unable to go back

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Mist View Post
    disease is pretty effective at lowering populations also, at least temporarily. came across this article

http://www.timberwolfinformation.org...wstone-wolves/

Distemper devastates Yellowstone wolves

Written by Gib Mathers
    Distemper, an often fatal disease common in carnivores, had a devastating effect on Yellowstone National Park wolves last year, especially northern packs. But the disease may have run its course, a Yellowstone official said.
    Across the park, the population has declined 27 percent, from 171 wolves in 2007 to 124 in 2008.
    Wolf numbers dropped by 40 percent in the northern range, the most concentrated wolf community, from 94 wolves in 2007 to 56 wolves in 2008, said Yellowstone Wolf Project Leader Doug Smith.
    Distemper is more likely to spread in denser populations such as the northern range, Smith said.
    In the interior, the decline was 11 percent — from 77 in 2007 to 68 in 2008, Smith said.
    Puppies are the most susceptible to the viral disease, which affects respiratory, gastrointestinal and central nervous systems. But adults can contract the disease too, through secretions, especially saliva.
    Distemper was here long before wolves arrived in Yellowstone in 1995, and the disease is spread by all predators, Smith said. Other carnivores can spread the disease from chewing on the same carcass.
    Eight puppies were born in the northern range and 14 in the interior last year, Smith said.
    Inoculating for distemper requires three injections. That would be expensive, and catching all the wolves in the park likely would not be possible, he said.
    The good news is the 2008 distemper outbreak probably is over, he said.
    Smith said he believes the population can recover. Distemper clobbered park wolves In 1999 and 2005 as well.
    “Both times, they bounced back,” he said.

Mange also killed two or three wolves in 2008. Currently, 20 wolves are suffering from mange across the park, Smith said.
    “It’s the worst year yet for mange,” Smith said, adding he hopes it does not increase this year.
    Mange is a parasitic infection of the skin. It can weaken the animal, making it susceptible to infections and other problems that can lead to death, a Yellowstone news release said.
    The number of breeding pairs dropped from 10 to six in 2008. That’s the lowest since 2000, the news release said.
    Distemper and mange aren’t the only slayers.
    Wolves often kill each other competing for food or territory, and population density could contribute to an increase in wolf-on-wolf mortality, the release said.
    A mountain lion will kill a wolf occasionally, but the only unequivocal wolf predators are humans, Smith said.
    Wildlife biologists say the Yellowstone wolf population has recovered, and wolf numbers can be expected to fluctuate like other wildlife species, according to the release.

Interesting, mange usually hits when populations get too dense.

Distemper needs to be combined with Parvo to really do a number on them. This experiment has been proven.

If you guys would be as busy hunting wolves as you are flapping your gums about eradicating predators on a forum we wouldn't have a wolf problem.!!
    Seems to me, if each of you spends as much time hunting wolves as you do on the computer and even kills one we wouldn't need govt.resources to deal with the problem.Besides,the public outcry...if the public finds out that hunters a sanctioned by the govt to poison,aerial shoot and the spread of disease to eradicate predators,we as hunter don't need more bad publicity but reading some of the comments I only shake my head.
    Well,there isn't much to hunt during winter time....you fellas might as well go out and do something for management if you are so concerned about the local deer/moose population.

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    If you guys would be as busy hunting wolves as you are flapping your gums about eradicating predators on a forum we wouldn't have a wolf problem.!!
    Seems to me, if each of you spends as much time hunting wolves as you do on the computer and even kills one we wouldn't need govt.resources to deal with the problem.Besides,the public outcry...if the public finds out that hunters a sanctioned by the govt to poison,aerial shoot and the spread of disease to eradicate predators,we as hunter don't need more bad publicity but reading some of the comments I only shake my head.
    Well,there isn't much to hunt during winter time....you fellas might as well go out and do something for management if you are so concerned about the local deer/moose population.
    I would forget all about the grab a gun and look for wolves. The only really effective way to deal with them is experienced trappers.

And even then, it's an uphill battle, IF they can get it done at all. The stats I've heard is, 60-70% of the wolf population needs to be killed in order to see a decline in the overall population.

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    The only really effective way to deal with them is experienced trappers.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

^^^^ and that's where hunting them with choppers is really the only way to decimate the population..
    Trudeau is a Neya Noonan Utim Tugeye

Hunting wolves will have a minimal impact on their populations, but every dead wolf matters imo. Studies have shown that wolf populations need to be reduced by 80% for a decade to have an impact. The most effective ways are helicopter, poison and trapping.
    Good luck hunting everyone!
    Live to Hunt...

Ran into two in a single day, both in plain sight near Savona last weekend, to slow on the draw,absolutely every road we drove was littered with wolf track
    spent three full days in the area,saw a total of 5 deer.