Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCWF- Responds to Site C announcement

BCWF- Responds to Site C announcement

For Immediate Release: December 11, 2017-

The BC Wildlife Federation fully expects the government will direct BC Hydro to compensate for significant losses of fish, wildlife and their habitats as a result of construction of the Site C Dam project. The BCWF position is that the impacts have not been adequately mitigated or off set for upstream impoundments, let alone Site C.

The public is reminded that BC Hydro never came close to adequately compensating for losses due to the Peace Dam which was far greater in size and impact than Site C. The existing Peace/Williston Compensation Program requires a complete overhaul and appointment of a BCWF representative on the Board.

Fish and Wildlife Compensation Programs, (FWCP) continue to be an issue for the BC Wildlife Federation.

The mandate of the compensation programs to address fish and wildlife losses appears to be diluted in terms of larger cumulative effects in the Columbia and Peace Basins. These FWCP programs have lost their way—they are supposed to restore fish and wildlife habitat and populations impacted by hydro developments. Instead funds are being spent on non-impacted resources and funds are being used to promote BC Hydro’s image.

The funds are administered by BC Hydro and this is akin to having the coyote look after the chicken coop.

It was the BCWF in the 1980s that was instrumental in formation of these programs yet BCWF continued to be denied representation on the three Boards.

Recent meetings with BC Hydro have been unproductive and the government representatives sit in silence evidently supportive of BC Hydro’s dominance of Board decision making.

For a decade the BCWF has advocated that the compensation funds should be held and administered by a third party to ensure transparency and openness.

For more information, please contact

BCWF President Harvey Andrusak
    Email: handrusak@shaw.ca Phone: 250-551-3674

President BCWF Region 7B Peace
    Gerry Paille
    Email: gpaille@me.comPhone: 250-262-1612
    Make sure to Like and Share us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/BCWildlifeFederation

Twitter- @BCWildlife

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BCWF- Responds to Site C announcement

compensation to whom?
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    compensation to whom?
    LOL , Really??

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    compensation to whom?
    Compensation could be paid to the people of BC, firstly the resident hunting community.
    The money could be used for wildlife initiatives all over the province, it could also be used for restoring fish habitat destroyed all over the province.
    It shouldn't be used to pay for stuff that forestry companies should already be paying for.

I'm curious to see a good study about the impact on fish. I only know what I see in person from fishing the Columbia upstream of kinbasket lake and the lake itself and the fishing is second to none on both. Being that kinbasket lake was created by Mica Dam, it seems to me that construction of dams can actually create extremely good fishing opportunities. Of course I don't see the full impact of the entire river itself but where I am the fishing is dam good!

Quote Originally Posted by Travalanche View Post
    I'm curious to see a good study about the impact on fish. I only know what I see in person from fishing the Columbia upstream of kinbasket lake and the lake itself and the fishing is second to none on both. Being that kinbasket lake was created by Mica Dam, it seems to me that construction of dams can actually create extremely good fishing opportunities. Of course I don't see the full impact of the entire river itself but where I am the fishing is dam good!
    The Columbia was a major artery for North America in regard to Salmon, no Salmon now, one species for another.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    The Columbia was a major artery for North America in regard to Salmon, no Salmon now, one species for another.
    I did not know that. I thought it only ever held kokanee salmon, which it still does.

I did not know that. I thought it only ever held kokanee salmon, which it still does.
    Most rivers that connect to the ocean used to host salmon , the mistake was not to install fish ladders which wiped out or curtailed salmon and kokanee stocks . ie Kootenay lake

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    The Columbia was the largest contributor to salmon on the west coast. But let's not learn from past mistakes...let's make more and ask for a few dollars to put on a show that we are being responsible. Let's destroy thousands of square kilometers of habitat and put in a fish ladder or hatchery. Our city folk MUST HAVE hydro power! The States MUST HAVE our hydro power. Our future ain't bright and I'm gonna wear shades so that I cannot see it!
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

A good portion of the effects is felt down stream. Eg..most of the nutrients from run off settle into Kinbasket and Revelstoke dam lakes leaving Arrow lakes depleted of nutrients. They used to have a fertilization program but I believe it was dropped. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....