Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting season lengths

Hunting season lengths

Was wondering if anyone knew why deer season in BC or other species for that matter end Dec 10? Thinking about say Reg 3, where Whitetail deer seem to be a concern in regards to out competing the Mule deer. Why not run the season longer, or have say bow only or muzzle loader...hunters out hunting is good for the economy if nothing else, is there a conservation concern or lack of access concern due to snow (which is not relevant everywhere). I would love to see opportunities to keep hunting into january. Yes I know I can predator hunt, just not really what Im talking about atm.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting season lengths

Whitetail I'd be okay with but give the mules a break imo...they've been chased since the beginning of Sept until yesterday. I think if they made it through they deserve to live. Obviously poachers continue to kill throughout winter but that's a different topic.

It's rare to get more, in all likelihood the regional manager doesn't think it's a good idea.

Season is more than long enough to harvest a deer. Im hoping they shorten mule deer at the least. White tail is a hardier species but i believe alot of areas are dec 20. Sept 1 - dec 20 is more than long enough..........
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Im glad you guys think "the season is long enough"

Many places in the US have deer seasons well into January. My question was not "what do you think", it was "why" and looking for actual facts not speculation. Bucks, especially small bucks, don't have positive impacts on the species population. Less of them is actually better as there is less competition for food. If a season is spread out, you could actually see less pressure as there is more opportunity for people to plan their hunts accordingly rather than having all of these hunters show up Oct 10 to try and capitalize on the WT antlerless as well as any mulie buck. If you moved the WT anterless to say all of Dec, you may take some pressure away from Oct. There are a lot of reasons why it maybe good to extend seasons, but I was more looking for facts as to why they aren't.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

B.C. used to have a muzzle loader season years a go but with the advent of inline muzzle loaders,muzzle loaders except for flintlocks stopped being primitive weapons, so the special season ended. I guess they could have done the same as Alberta and not recognized cross bows as archery equipment and just ruled that inline muzzle loaders weren't muzzle loaders. And oh by the way there already is a extended bow season for mule deer in reg. 8 and the whitetail deer bow season for either sex in reg. 4 & 8 runs from Dec. 1 - Dec. 20., the rifle season ends Nov. 30 or in reg. 3 ends Dec. 10.

Because winter is a tough and stressful time for wildlife

Added pressure causing ungulates to burn reserves they need to make it through winter is not a good idea in my opinion

Winter can cause abrupt drops in population beyond any other factor I can think of.

Really with the decline in many populations in B.C. backing off a little more and focusing on things like habitat is more important then gaining opportunity in my opinion

This question keeps getting pulled off track: It is about Whitetail, not mule deer.

White tail can handle the increased pressure. I have not heard any different from the regional biologist in R3. I know he would like guys to learn how to hunt Whitetails effectively.

I have wondered this also, why isn't the whitetail season extended?

I would prefer the bag limit stays the same, but extend the season to provide more opportunity to get out - I would think a Christmas hunt with the kids would be awesome - just to have another purpose to get out and hike around.

Any by opportunity I don't mean muzzle or bow exclusive hunting opportunities.

guest Guest

Just MO

if your having a tough time with harvest and our seasons here in BC ....... Check out Sask, Alberta etcetc. Meaning our seasons here are quite liberal compared over all to other places. Longer seasons do not Grow wildlfe, proper management does.

maybe try another sport lol, just joking.

I think were about to take a big hit on Shorter Seasons any way.
    Last edited by guest; 12-11-2017 at 01:58 PM.