Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E collars

E collars

Good morning
    looking for some advice. I have a 4 year old lab that I hunt with and I have a new Labrador pup coming. I am looking into e collars for both of my labs. Why brands do most use ? And where would you recommend I purchase? I do want one that works with one controler for 2 collars.
    cheers

2. Site Sponsor

Re: E collars

I prefer Garmin or Dogtra brands.

Check out this link:
    http://altmoor.com/catalog/Selecting.html

Here's a Canadian supplier:
    https://www.canadiangundogsupply.com/Ecollars/

Don't buy Garmin. Since they took over TriTronics the products and customer service has gone way down hill.

Dogtra Edge RT is the one used now by most pros and people that know what they're doing.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Hi Mike,
    We have been using the Garmin Tri-Tronics Sport Pro on our Golden for the past few years. It works great, and is easy to figure out how to run it properly. You can run up to 3 collars from just the one controller. They are readily available at most good places where dog training equipment is sold. Good luck with it if you do get one......John

What Lab Guy said. I use mostly Dogtra but also have one of the lower end Sportdog which I use for a backup. The old Tritronics were the bomb but since Garmin took over avoid them like the plague. Most important though DO NOT just throw the collars on and expect miracles. PROPERLY COLLAR CONDITION them before you use the collar as a training aid.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 12-10-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Thank you for the advice everyone so far. Yes I am going to make sure I learn how to use the collars before I put them on my boys. I going to join the kamloops gun dog club and seek help there and as well as a retired rcmp dog handler has offered to help too.
    Many more advice is greatly appreciated. ��

I had a gamin pro 550 for 3 years. Zero issues worked perfect and I also really liked the built in headlamps for hunting. I thought it was great training collar. The transmitter is a bit to cumbersome for hunting so I bought the dogtra arc hands free. Very happy with it so far.

As mentioned, please learn how to collar condition your dog. Putting a collar on it is not going to stop it doing wrong whatever its doing wrong if it doesn't understand what you want first. Collars actually don't "fix" anything and can make things a lot worse if you have no idea what you are doing. They are used to reinforce a command the dog already knows.

If you are looking to buy one I would suggest using

http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com/

instead of Canadian gun dog supply. I have had nothing but awesome service from Sue at Dakota. I cannot say the same about gun dog supply.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post

As mentioned, please learn how to collar condition your dog. Putting a collar on it is not going to stop it doing wrong whatever its doing wrong if it doesn't understand what you want first. Collars actually don't "fix" anything

Lorne

Everyone should burn the above into their heads!!

Dogtra gets my vote

I have used tritronics for years. They have been great. I'musing a Sportdog TEK 2 now and love it.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
    I have used tritronics for years. They have been great. I'musing a Sportdog TEK 2 now and love it.
    Tritronics HAD been great......they are no longer great. When Garmin took over the company the quality of product and service went downhill drastically.

The people that use ecollars every day (professional Retriever trainers and obedience trainers) are all switching to Dogtra.

But fill your boots,....
    Last edited by labguy; 12-11-2017 at 06:52 AM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"