Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Season Goat Success

Re: Late Season Goat Success

Late November was when the real trip was planned but squeezing in a few days mid month suddenly popped up. This trip fitted my dads retiree schedule so he would be accompanying. Must be a parent thing to want to accompany as much as possible to prevent harm to their baby eh. The companionship is always welcomed; adds a certain sense of security and doesn't get so lonely lol. At this time of year we opt to leave the quads and sxs because if it snowed a bunch it would be damn near impossible to tow them out. As predicted, camp had a couple more amenities and sleep was a bit longer on this trip . Unfortunately, we both had to be back for the 19th (coordinated dentist appts) so time was lacking on this trip as well.
    Last edited by Kopper; 12-10-2017 at 10:17 AM.

The temps were now hovering around 0, it snowed every day and fog was always abundant. The skiff of snow was now a foot in the valley and half a goat high up top. The first day was socked in completely spare a small window late afternoon. Sure enough billy A made his appearance in a little opening just above where I'd seen him previously. Around camp that night I'd hear the same stories I've heard so many times over, we'd discuss work and other father son stuff... over some rye and gingers of course.

The next day was fogged in 100%. So we drove to what we call "goat alley" to have a warm cup of soup thanks to the jetboil. While waiting for the soup we got a quick window on the side of the alley. Sure enough, dirty white blobs were scattered along the top of this cliff. Before long a nanny popped out of the timber and following her was a good set of hockey pucks. A quick turn of the face and instantly I thought that it was billy B. Boy was he a sight to see now. The distinctive old horse face was hard to miss, combined with the nature of the rut he was dirty and the glands were more active. This and they were 950 meters away from the cave I'd originally spotted him in, at the same elevation. I want this goat.

Option 1 was to climb up from the downwind side but dad was convinced it wasn't a good idea. Option 2 was to hike up goat alley and see if we could access them from the other side but that also wasn't a good idea. After the soup was done I stated that I'm doing option 1, you can come or you can sit in the truck. Alittle grumble from him but he agreed. I would lead at my pace and he would follow the tracks.

Keep in mind that my dad is now 62. He does still do backpack trips with his brother (60) as they're both very healthy and doing really really well for their age but keeping up with an active mid-20s isn't feasible.

The climb was typical hands and feet steep but spare a small cliff band early on it was largely in the trees. We were in a skinny ridge of trees that went on a steep diagonal until it meets a thick ridge of trees coming up from the alley. The goats were below that intersection just on the alley ridge edge maybe 100 yards down. Once I met the other ridge nerves came on hard. The wind had been good and I was always out of sight. I was so confident that the gloves came off and the gun was in my hands. Slowly working my way down, the ridge littered with tracks...and then I found their beds.

hhhhhmmmm....."rye and ginger"...good choice

Great story so far, looking forward to the rest.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.

Some on here don't believe in luck but I tend to follow something Boddington said many years ago. It goes something like....hunting is all about luck, but to a degree you make your own luck by putting yourself in the right place at the right time. It couldn't be more true now.

I followed the tracks down into the alley in which they went straight down when they hit the creek. LO fricken L. Remember option 2? Well from the road you could also see their tracks come down the alley and up a side gulley. It's 37 minutes to that intersection by foot! IMO these goats weren't scared or they would've made their way into the cliffs below them. This was a typical lead nanny taking her herd into her yearly rutting area. Like a love struck teen that old goat followed.

I take it back, there was more disappointment here than with billy A's screwup. The hike down was quiet except for my chuckles when my dad would fall. Course the chuckles came when it was obvious he was ok.
    Last edited by Kopper; 12-10-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Enjoying it so far....keep it coming thanks

Rain, sleet and snow fill the next day combined with heavy fog. Through weather windows we were able to pick up the group and follow their movement down valley, although they gained elevation. The lead nanny constantly pushing snow that was halfway up her shoulders. Single file the herd followed her path. This was our first good look at the herd as a whole. A total of 6 goats: 2 kids, 2 nannies, big ole billy B and either a younger billy or another nanny. Tough to tell from the bottom. Late that afternoon we again spot billy A in the same opening as the other day...

The next day was much the same. My dad this time spots some goats on a bluff but they soon disappear into the timber. Remember this bluff. I was convinced this was the group we were after judging from their projection and realistically this valley has a low goat density. My dad wasn't as convinced it was the same herd and convinced me not to go after them as that bluff was supposedly inaccessible. Again, in late afternoon we spot billy A back on his typical perch. Seeing as tomorrow was our last day I'm sure you can guess our move.

The hike took us up the exact same path as the first encounter with billy A. It was tough knowing that the bigger billy was around but I could settle. The only difference on this hike was I remember getting extremely nervous watching my dad cross those aforementioned chutes. My mind has a knack for being a bit of a pessimist and fearing the worse. Once in the red pines we slowly worked up to where that billy magically appears. The minutes turned to hours as we huddled in the timber freezing. Soon darkness was upon us. Maybe it was the wind swirling or maybe he wasn't as patterned as I thought but our heads hung low on the sketchy hike down. The next morning we made our way out of the mountains.

These short trips aren't ideal but like I said, just happened to be free time and the real trip was planned for late November anyways. We had organized a large gathering for my Oma's 90th so naturally my old man had to stay behind. I figured she's got plenty of grand kids and I'd go unmissed.

My dad was going to come out on the 25th after the party. I headed out alone on the 22nd to set up camp; prepared to stay until December 1st when the season closed if need be. Images of that old goat constantly occupying my mind. For those of you still following there's only 1 hike left.....
    Last edited by Kopper; 12-10-2017 at 06:26 PM.

The weather hadn't improved since I was last here and it started to rain as I set up camp. It rained, no it poured all night. Every so often I'd awake to the rumble of an avalanche in the distance.

I awoke on the 23rd to a damp and gloomy day. Stream levels had nearly doubled and the 1.5' of powder had turned into a sloppy 8" with a layer of water underneath. I skipped breakfast and so routinely jump in the truck to begin the day. Sure enough, there's a steep incline just out of camp and with the snow conditions preventing me from gaining speed in that short time; I was pulling out the shovel. Certainly not how I wanted to start the day and with no industry to keep the road clear getting stuck was my biggest fear. There was avalanches everywhere the road crossed a ravine. Those dried up creeks were now flowing with some gumption. Quickly making sure that the culverts weren't plugged as I pass. Would really hate to lose the road.

My first spotting location produced nothing between windows and the next spot I skipped. For some reason I drove to a view point to where I could see that bluff I mentioned earlier. Sure enough, atleast 3 goats lined the timber ontop of this bluff. I pulled out the scope but with fog rolling in I never was able to ID. With nobody to talk me out of it I was positive that if this wasn't the herd of 6 from before it would've been a new group. Being the rut it had to have a billy in it regardless eh.
    Last edited by Kopper; 12-11-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Very much enjoying thread. Cheers
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”