Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Late Season Goat Success

Re: Late Season Goat Success

A really really deserved goat you shot Kopper.
    I bet your dad was so proud of you for accomplishing all that in the snow and shooting a great goat and then hurting yourself and still managing to get down the mountain with one less hand to use for steadiness. Now that takes balls.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

That's a story that will not get old. Nice job again pal! Hope once the bandages come off you'll be back at 100%. Looking forward to some beers over the Holidays.

Excellent share. I admire the people who are willing to navigate terrain that sheep and goats frequent, and it sounds like your spot is as dicey as it can get. Props to you and your story.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Congratulations Kopper. Fantastic write-up and some challenging conditions for sure. Sounded down right scary. Must have been a bugger getting up/down with that gimped hand. Glad it all worked out and you gotnhome safely.

It almost sounds easier to just camp up there and deal with the cold than to make that hell of a trek up every time in that nasty late season terrain. lol.

Good job. you persevered and were rewarded. That's the recipe for success. Congrats.

What's your plan for the goat? Also, how much deboned meat is there from a goat of this size? (I'm preparing for my region 3 LEH ... this is my year. I can feel it. 5 years of coming up empty. This will be the year!)

great story and well written.late season goats are a great challenge.nice goat

Hmmm educational. Inspirational..and riviting" thanks for taking us along..i too have nicked tendons requiring surgery..brings back painful memories..
    You earned that goat..well done. .Congradulations
    Steven

Thanks for the kind words everyone

Jsaw, always down for brewskis

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post

What did he green score?
    Um it won't be high, I only threw a tape on to confirm a 9" for friends. Quick guess, low 9s prob 5 3/8 on the base if it isn't rotted, small deductions....Prob a low 46 or high 45. This is the 2nd 10+ year old I've taken from that MU in the last couple years; don't grow big horns here.
    Last edited by Kopper; 12-11-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    It almost sounds easier to just camp up there and deal with the cold than to make that hell of a trek up every time in that nasty late season terrain. lol.

Good job. you persevered and were rewarded. That's the recipe for success. Congrats.

What's your plan for the goat? Also, how much deboned meat is there from a goat of this size? (I'm preparing for my region 3 LEH ... this is my year. I can feel it. 5 years of coming up empty. This will be the year!)
    thank ya....

um, I like hunting from the bottom up late season. Spiking it would be tough HERE because there is no large basins to look at. Your vision is very limited. Hence that 100 yard shot is considered far here. Plus density is too low for that style IMO. Base camps comfier too

I just had to get a shoulder mount done; too much of a story to not. It depends slightly who's doing the boning but probably close to 100lbs on a fat goat but no less than 80 on a fatty. Thick wet hide is heavy too!

Edit: I take some neck meat and other large chunks as well; don't let anyone tell you goat is bad, tough yup. Take idk 10lbs off what I said if just taking the legal amount.
    Last edited by Kopper; 12-11-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks for the great story and pics!