Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Season Goat Success

Re: Late Season Goat Success

Up and at it early the next day. Meandering up the valley like I've done so many times before made it seem like yesterday I was last here. There was a certain sense of nostalgia floating around that felt good.

The first two locations I spotted from yielded nothing but the cold jagged rock faces of the mtn. On the third stop, now looking back into what I had just glassed I see a goat head and 6" of a neck sticking out of an impenetrable crevasse. Up comes the spotter and instantly could see the mass on this goat. It was a billy, not a brute mind you but I put him as 5 years\perhaps 4 with 8.5-9" daggers. Within minutes a nanny materializes in the crack as well. I didn't need much convincing, a quick study of the terrain and a packed bag I was on my way just after 9am. I usually take a photo of the area for reference on the climb.

We will call him billy A
    Last edited by Kopper; 12-09-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Great read so far.

Awesome story so far can't wait to read the rest. Goat hunting is hands down my favorite.

The hike up the dried up gorge was uneventful. Large rocks were strewn all over making the steps large while using my hands to assist the climb, as is the case with most goat hunts. Occasionally I'd glass the truck to judge the seemingly dismal progress and throw the eyes up the hill, making sure the goats weren't watching the ascent. In this valley, aside from the swirls the wind usually blows up the valley by habit so stalks are almost always predictable. The only trick being the large un-navigable faces in which you don't have a lot of options and zig-zagging around the cliffs, aiming for chutes and treed sections being the only viable way to gain altitude.

I hit the broad rock face, my only option being to skirt to the left. I followed the base of the cliff which gradually curved up to some chutes. The whole time grabbing the rock with my inner arm. Even though I would be able to stop myself sliding and losing ground wasn't high on my list. Now, the gradual curve up had gone over top of another cliff. The last obstacle being 3 very steep chutes that had zero trees and no stopping blocks before you'd be gone.

One of the first lessons I was taught was you're going to fall and you're going to slide but make sure there's something to stop you. My dad always tells me the story where his brother and him were following a goat trail in the snow when it came to a slide. My dad said not to do it but the uncle gave'er anyways. Half way across the path gave out and he slid (from what I'm told) 200 yards down and out of sight. My dad feared the worst but it turned out the drop wasn't that high and there was a bunch of snow to land in.

Anyways, the chute crossings were very slow and meticulous, planting my feet firmly before each step and grabbing whatever I could to distribute some weight off my feet. I made it to the 50 yard stretch of this sliver of trees. 2 hours ago I had last seen the goats on the other side of these trees where they were safe but at the top of this sliver was a broader patch of trees over looking the valley, in which I assumed the goats would bed. I was right, beds and tracks everywhere. I slowly made my way through the bug kissed pine as quietly as I could. Just as I was clearing a tree a white rump was materializing in a chute on the far side of the trees, not 50 yards away.

I got low but it was too late, the billy had me. They're sure a sight to see at this time of year; his off white/dirty coat outlined against the speckled snow would of made a good photo. I was hoping the goats were still in that crevasse feeding and ideally I would've been set up when they came to bed. But the goat had me by the short ones... It would've been a easy shot but I just didn't feel good about the recovery. I knew I could get to the trees on the other side but if he didn't stop in the chute he would've went off the end of a 150-200 yard cliff. Which would've been fine other than I didn't know if he'd get hung up on one of his hideout spots; spots which are inaccessible to people. I then steadied myself on a tree waiting for the goats move... Unfortunately, his escape only presented rump shots as he worked his way through the far timber and up up up. I opted to leave the area as I didn't want to scare him away from this accessible spot. The climb down seemed more prolonged than it was, it's hard not to feel alittle disappointment especially knowing that things probably could of been altered if I took more caution.....Oh well.

Once at the truck I simply wait, watching that area every so often. Eventually, the billy worked his way back to exactly his same steps in the chute and down that cliff to a people inaccessible cave; one of which you'd never see until a goat goes into this shady patch and mysteriously vanishes. I did end of spotting a nanny up high as well as an adorable kid and its mom on a low rock.
    Last edited by Kopper; 12-09-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Great writing skills, and love the pics...keep it coming!!

The next day was the coldest, -19 according to the truck that morn. I arrived at the first glassing spot and locate a nanny just above that bloody cave. I watched her until she disappeared into the cave. I assumed the billy was already in there but I chose to move up valley anyways. Spotting on this mountain a few kms away I immediately want to scout out this cave I did previously know about, what the heck. Sure enough there's a white blotch in the entrance. Out comes the spotter and it's quick to realize this is a billy; but not just any billy. The features of his face tell the story of many years on this hill. Certainly no less than 8 years but I had a hunch it was more; and carrying >9" horns for sure. This will be billy B.

It was mid morning now as I watched him slowly and gracefully work his way about this mountain. It's really neat watching a goat realize that they've come across a chunk of rock that even they can't climb; really cool watching him back track. While enjoying a snack a pickup drove by, the passenger and I exchanging looks as they passed. Huh, that was strange....they looked like hunters but usually nobodies back here this late in the year. When I picked up the billy again he had bedded on knob for his mid day snooze. Yup, fish on.

I drove to the nearest bridge then hiked upstream to an intersection with a sporadically running creek to begin the climb. Before long I work my way out of the creek into a slide. The plan was to follow the slide up to the cliff base, which just happened to be below his cave and from there it appeared a small ledge went straight across to the ridge he was on. Well that skiff of snow made that steep slide slick as all hell. Usually, alders are my nemesis but now being leafless and perfect hand holds I welcomed their company.

Now, that ledge.... It was a fairly eerie 2'ish path that solidly led the way to my quarry. Looking below was pretty freaky tho. Once across all that was left was to climb this 30-40' wall and sneak through the timber to the other side. Believe me I tried and tried. There were 4 different cracks in which I thought I'd have a chance of climbing. You guys know what "bouldering is? Well this was on the easier end of what you'd find at a climbing wall. Just no mat to fall into and carrying a pack/gun and wearing boots. I'd get part way up but common sense would always kick in. "It's just a goat". Alas, billy B won this one. I'm almost glad cuz it was windy and cold as ice.

On the way back to camp I stopped to look at the first cave. Sure enough billy A was stretched out on his porch sunning his little tail feathers.

While watching the goat another pickup pulled up behind me, stopped, and continued on. Judging from their pace and the tracked quad I assumed them to be hunters as well. Holy cow! This was starting to look like Spences.

Day 3, the plan was to start at first light and go after billy A, or atleast go to his area and work it. Just as I'm finishing up at camp the two trucks go by. Fearing the worst I drove up the valley. Sure enough one truck was where I was when I put the goat to bed and the other parked at the dried up creek from which I made the stalk on day 1.

Disappointed, I went for a drive up a different valley just to clear my head. Really it was just a good excuse to listen to the sat radio. I decided since I had to be back the day after tomorrow that I'd bug out and give the guys their space. I was just about packed up when the hunters drove by, except the second truck came into camp for a chat. It turns out that it was three buddies hunting together and had also put that goat to bed the night before. They were also as surprised as I to see another hunter back here. They mentioned billy A had gone quite high with the nanny and was safe. We exchanged a few stories and pics from this area and wished them safe travels back home; as camp was mostly packed I also continued with an exit.

guest Guest

Got to love Goat stories ....... Man I need a fix of that stuff again.

Best story I've read in a long time. Keep up the good work.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Yes great stuff. Did my first goat hunt this sept. With success. Addicted. Nice writing as well