Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Late Season Goat Success

Re: Late Season Goat Success

Round two with the pack was what I should of done initially. Put the left through first and squat it up with the aid of the tree. It was starting to get dark but the key would be to go slow. I had a hell of a time putting the crampons on but it was worth it. Now, my left hand was 100% disabled. I sh*t you not, It just wouldn't move. I threw a glove on it backwards to hopefully prevent muscle memory from attempting a grab on anything. The hike about 100 meters back up was a glute burner but the crampons held their place, even on the small rock face.

Once across I opted to side hill instead of go a bit hire and find my old tracks, lazy. It was a poor choice cause I was now operating by headlamp but I gave'r all. It was damn scary being alone and navigating the cliffs amongst scree but I kept on telling myself. It's already dark, just take your time and worst case Ontario follow your tracks back up. It was well over an hour but sure was it relief reaching the far timber and cutting my up tracks. The crampons didn't allow any slipping but imagine your body weight plus an extra 50% of it trying to descend a super steep slope with no give, relying solely on your knees and quad muscles. Quad tendons were sore for two days lol.

Minus the few slides and sharp pain in the hand all was well, slow but well. That is until the right crampon caught a stick and sent me ass over tea kettle. Thankfully my face stopped the fall with a snow covered rock. Once I managed to get up I could taste blood and feel it dripping down my chin. I didn't care, nor did it hurt at that point. I was so desensitized to reality knowing the only objective was to get off this hill. Eventually I could see road and oh that truck. Damn did it look good, even for a Ford boy was that a spirit lifter. The down had taken almost double of the up time now being around 8pm.

Once at the tent I opened the stove, gave the smoldering logs a blow and cracked BCs finest....Hells Gate lager. I needed a few more of those to gather enough courage to take the goat to water for a wash tho. I changed the dressing on my hand and went to bed.

The next day my hand was still next to useless. Taking the walltent down one handed however was not as bad as you'd think. I was packed up and putting this place in the rearview one last time.

The drive home was uneventful. Shortly after I went to the hospital. Only an hour or so on the table the doctor re attached the tendon and now I'm stuck in a splint for another 1.5 weeks, 4 total. The season was done for this guy unfortunately. but, I made it for Oma's 90th.

PS this was typed with a thumb and one finger. Cheers

Not the easiest to count but if you find the "lips" you should be able to get within 1 year

I aged him at 10 which was supported by a ministry bio. Not quite my oldest tho
    Last edited by Kopper; 12-11-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Huge congrats Kopper!
    What an outstanding story! You are a great story teller indeed!

Thanks for taking the the extra time to get this all down with just one finger.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Superb read. That is a story worthy of being published. It had a bit of everything necessary for a riveting read. Congratulations.

Great story, awesome goat and a hell of a trip!!!

Thanks for sharing and bringing us along!!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Nice goat. Good job.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Wow you are a mad man! Good on yah! Sounds like one hell of an adventure.

If it makes you feel any better I had a similar experience with my hand. Cut my index tendon clean off. Two surgeries and 6 months rehab. Never been quite the same but I work with my hands daily and it still works 10 years later!!

Great story.

Late November goat hunting is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. Brought back lots of memories......crampons, rain, fog, alders and scarey steep terrain....gotta love it.

What did he green score?
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

guest Guest

Terrific share, thanks for posting. My goat hunts are right up there with the best experiences of my life.

Crazy late hunts, wow, love the longer hair too.

Get well soon.

CT