Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Losing your hunting partners.

Re: Losing your hunting partners.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Lost my hunting partner 3 years ago .....
    Watched him grow and mature into a fine ethical hunter .... fun to be with, twinkle in his eye, gave 110% ....
    He was teaching me a thing or two ...
    Left too early.
    He was my son ...... missing him.
    Oh man, that’s heartbreaking. Sorry to hear...

Cool Re: Losing your hunting partners.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    ... So I'm wondering, am I just a sentimental fool or do other sportsmen/women do the same thing to help preserve the memories of their closest friends?
    There have been a few. Unfortunately goes with the territory should you live long enough.
    But one in particular stands out in my memories...

I met Ricky when we were both in our mid twenties.
    He was a REAL Cowboy, Rodeo Clown, Bull Rider, Bronc Buster, and with his Pa owned one of the largest cattle operations going in Alberta.
    We met over an antelope hunt arranged by a mutual friend, and that began an extremely firm and fine friendship.
    For over two decades we became inseparable, and the Man became as much a Brother to me as any.
    We guided antelope together, ran ponies into the mountains each and every fall, and literally took dozens of fine elk, sheep, goats, and deer when in each other's company.
    Wasn't simply hunting, we spent a lot of time together in the off seasons. I would wander out to The Hat and work the cows whenever needed, at least three or four times a year. My Lady he treated as a Queen, and she too formed a very strong bond with this Fine Country Gentleman.

Another passion we shared was fishing. One spring a fair ways back now, he called and asked me to join him on another run to Northern Saskatchewan chasing lakers. Unfortunately I was just then headed offshore, work in the form of fishing. In the years since I had moved to the Arctic (where he of course made several trips to) and the Coast (where I hosted him to many a Tyee) we still managed to get together to hunt or fish multiple times each year.
    So, we had a good chat, and agreed to touch base upon our mutual returns to shore...

Was never meant to be. Had a few days left in our opening when I call the call from my Lady.
    Could tell she was very emotional, and shuddered when she said You are going to want to sit down now...
    Ricky had suffered a massive heart attack while battling his largest lake trout to date.
    He fell out of the boat, but was recovered by another Buddy immediately.
    It was too late.
    He was gone....

I bawled like a suckin' calf stripped from it's mom. Could not believe my Partner had left.
    And so damn young, he had not made 50.
    I could not finish the season.
    My fishing Partner ran me in, and I ran first home to console my Lady, then to his Parents side to do the same there.
    Playing the "tough" role in this instance was one of the harder things I have ever done.

Today, a fair bit of time has passed.
    Yet I think of him weekly still.
    And quite often when I manage to push this aging carcass up yet another mountain ridge, I feel his presence beside me.
    The memories will never die, nor will my bond with this Fine Cowboy.

My span is drawing closer to it's end.
    At this point I recognize that, and am beginning to be comfortable in that understanding.
    Some time remains, and I will continue to live as much like I always have as I possibly can.
    But soon enough I will see my ol' Pard again, and welcome his call of Saddle Up Buddy, Let's Ride once again...

Until then, Rest Easy Ricky...

Sadly,
    Matt

PS: Ace - My most sincere Condolences. That is a damn tough row to hoe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Nicely said and done IronNoggin

I lost my hunting partner/mentor two years ago and like many here I think of him often and especially when out chasing geese in Sask. He taught me to hunt and shoot but also respect for the resource. Miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Lost my hunting partner 3 years ago .....
    Watched him grow and mature into a fine ethical hunter .... fun to be with, twinkle in his eye, gave 110% ....
    He was teaching me a thing or two ...
    Left too early.
    He was my son ...... missing him.
    Ace i am so sorry to hear this, my and my wifes heart felt prayers go out to you and you family.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts ..... very much appreciated.
    Good hunting partners are a gift to you. Enjoy them, appreciate them, and carry them through the tough times. Give more than you take.
    The folks that have posted here with their stories of past friendships and shared campfires are an inspiration .....
    Again, thank you ...

I feel for you so sorry the hear ,,I lost my best friend in a hunting accident he was shot in the chest by another hunter Danny died in my arms his last words where I am hit pertly bad Wayne I dream about this accident for 53 years
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

My sincerest condolences to all of you ,and at the same time thank you for sharing your stories . Threads like these make a guy stop and think of the people around them and hopefully make them appreciate every minute they get to enjoy there company . Again thank you.
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

As an older hunter I have only one hunting patner left to go with. We made it out this fall many times in our home Reg 3. He is awaiting double catarac surgery which he needs really badly. Hopefully will have great sight for next season and more.

On a sombre note we used to see/visit two guys every October who set up a hunt camp for that month each year and with whom we have visited with every year for years. In our last visit in October 2016 Gary said he had a throat problem and had a doctors appointment in early November. This year our first trip out early in early October we stopped by their usual camp location and Wayne & a new friend were there. When we asked when will Gary arrive we were told “ Gary will not be coming any longer, he passed away in August from throat cancer at 71.” We were both floored to hear this news and it brought some sober second thought about life. Rest in peace Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I feel for you so sorry the hear ,,I lost my best friend in a hunting accident he was shot in the chest by another hunter Danny died in my arms his last words where I am hit pertly bad Wayne I dream about this accident for 53 years
    Geez, that would be an awful experience, sorry to hear you had to go through that.