Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Losing your hunting partners.

Re: Losing your hunting partners.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Thank you all for your kind thoughts ..... very much appreciated.
    Good hunting partners are a gift to you. Enjoy them, appreciate them, and carry them through the tough times. Give more than you take.
    The folks that have posted here with their stories of past friendships and shared campfires are an inspiration .....
    Again, thank you ...
    Greg YOUR a HELL of a man to even be able to chat about it ! Glad your my Friend too ! Cheers RJ

My grandfather is 86 years old and hasn't hunted in probably 25 years ... but it was his stories of the Ottawa Valley deer camps of yore that hooked me into hunting when I was just a little kid. I was spellbound as he recounted his stories of traveling back into the woods with horses and wagons, buying his Marlin 336 30-30 brand new for $60 in 1947 at the age of 16, and the wild tales of he and his brothers pursuing the wily "big woods" bucks. I have taken my grandfather out wild turkey hunting a few times in recent years when the weather and his health have allowed. A few years ago I called several jakes into 15 meters and had them gobbling up a storm as he and I sat there. My grandfather was thrilled .... I'll treasure that memory for the rest of my hunting career even though I never pulled the trigger.

My dad didn't hunt (an accident in his early 20s where he accidentally shot another member of his grouse hunting partner traumatized him - the other hunter survived and lived into his late 80s) when I was growing up. In recent years I have convinced him to come wild turkey hunting with me and each year he comes with me a few times. In 2013 I called in a group of jakes and my dad was able to take one of them - with the very same shotgun (it was a wedding gift) from the terrible incident decades before. I was glad to give him a positive hunting memory ...

Most of the deer camps in my area of central/eastern Ontario are filled with aging hunters. The hunting pressure is still high, but it is mostly older guys on ATVs and in trucks now. Another decade will bring fundamental change to this area.

I'm envious of those who have committed and long term hunting friends/partners. It's hard to find them - many of the younger hunters I have "mentored" have moved away, etc. Much of my hunting is done solo now - by necessity, not choice.

Time is something no one is guaranteed and at 39 I'm more keenly aware of that than ever .... I've had a lifelong dream of a backcountry mountain elk hunt in Alberta/British Columbia. I've pretty much given up on the Hunter Host options and such and will probably have to write the large cheque for a guided hunt to make it happen .... I hope to make it happen within the next few years.
    Last edited by glennw89; 12-11-2017 at 09:30 PM.

So sorry for your loss and I share your pain. Lost our son to cancer at 18 yrs old but one of my favourite memories is that he was with us at deer camp in the previous November and he was so proud of his 2 pt WT-his first buck. He was on chemo at the time. Even after 20 years the pain is still there but so are the great memories and enjoyment he gave us. Being able to talk about it in sites like this makes you proud to have had the time you did with him and enjoy your memories. Again, I share your loss and the high regard you had for your son and good for you for missing him -you always will.

Damn near lost my 5 year old son to meningitis this year. That, and the passing of my mother have given me clarity on what truly matters in life. Its not wealth, possessions, status, or any of the other bullshit that can tangle you up. Life must be lived for family, friends, expirience, laughs, passions. To chase anything else is to chase a mirage, you will come up empty handed.

Sorry to hear about losses and close calls . This thread brought back the real reason I hunt and that I believe hunting is important. Because it brings us closer to each other , it's a reason to get together --plan for the future ,hang out ( no devices in hand) , and then have memories to look back on.

I take my young son out with my dad as much as I can. Those rabbits and grouse are real trophies to all of us.

this thread is why I hunt