Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing your hunting partners.

Losing your hunting partners.

Well I turned 61 this past October and this past summer another of my hunting partners went off to the happy hunting grounds. There have been quite a few leaving, one was beaten to death, one committed suicide, one died waiting for heart surgery...cancer took a couple, well you get the idea.

Over the years I've kept mementos of these good friends in my hunting/fishing rig and they come into my thoughts often when I'm out hunting and fishing.

So I'm wondering, am I just a sentimental fool or do other sportsmen/women do the same thing to help preserve the memories of their closest friends?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Losing your hunting partners.

Your a sentimental fool, like myself, I suddenly lost my best hunting buddy about 12 years ago, I think about him often when I'm out hunting especially when I sit down for a rest on some ridge somewhere, I really appreciate the knowledge he passed down to me.

Haven’t had a partner die so can’t say, but my condolences just keep enjoying yourself out there, that’s the best way to honour them

my cousin lived in PG he and i hunted together for years for moose beer pretty much anything legal. Got my first bull moose with his help. So guess you and i share the same thoughts as i have a couple of items that transfer from each hunting rig i have bought since he left. It helps me remember those times sometimes in a dream We will do the Cobb lake loop or hunt the Isle Pierre until wake up

Lost a good friend and hunting partner a few years ago. He wanted me to spread his ash's up in northern BC where we had been doing an annual hunting trip. He had also been talking about building a tree stand for when he got better. My son and I went up and built a nice tree stand, spread the ash's from it and placed a stainless steel cross on one of the support trees. Needless to say but every time I'm there he is looking over my shoulder and commenting on my moose call. ( he taught me to call)

Lost my hunting partner 3 years ago .....
    Watched him grow and mature into a fine ethical hunter .... fun to be with, twinkle in his eye, gave 110% ....
    He was teaching me a thing or two ...
    Left too early.
    He was my son ...... missing him.

I haven't lost him yet, but I know it's coming....

Dear Old Dad at 82 hammered the biggest moose we got out of our hunting area yet last season.
    He has his share of health problems. Prostate, PSA that keeps climbing, back problems, spinal stenosis etc... He manages all that and still gets out.
    We had to sit this year out due to a "lump scare" that turned out to be nothing.
    Plans are in the works for next year (i hope). But I know it's going to end sooner rather than later...

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Lost my hunting partner 3 years ago .....
    Watched him grow and mature into a fine ethical hunter .... fun to be with, twinkle in his eye, gave 110% ....
    He was teaching me a thing or two ...
    Left too early.
    He was my son ...... missing him.
    So sorry to hear.....

Great friend and hunting partner croaked way to early. I miss him and his grumpy ways. Some of these old friends you can count on when crap hits the fan or you dont come home or whatever, you know they will find you you or fix whatever problem comes up.
    I drive his truck everyday and watch out over his widow.
    Ace there cant be much worse than missing your son, way too sad

I'm still pretty young in the world of hunter's and while youth doesn't prevent all deaths, I've been lucky that my crew are all still around. My dad on the other hand has lost not only mentors, but proteges. I remember going out with his old hunting partners, but was mostly too young to learn anything valuable, except the stories Though behind every story, there is always a hint of truth. We don't have a ton of tangible artifacts, but we have all the stories. I tell my hunting buddies all my dad's stories, which many of those were my grandpa's, and my uncles etc. Hopefully they'll pass them on to their friends and family as well as the stories we are making now.

Happy hunting everyone. Play safe out there. Bring back a tale and share with those who'll listen, you might just live forever.