Thread: Arrow test today

Arrow test today

Aluminum xx75 Gamegetter, Easton, 2117 components, 400
    vs
    Carbon Stalker Extreme, Cabelas, 55/70, 8.4 gpi, 400

Shooting Samic Sage 40lb re-curve
    Both with same target practice head. Target about 20 yards

Well, this was no contest. The aluminum arrow was clumsy by comparison in flight and had less penetration and obvious less velocity than the carbon arrow. My grouping was tighter with the carbon arrow as well. I will use the aluminum when the grand kids come over for practice.

Always open for bettering my archery. If you are shooting the same bow and have something that works well for you... let us know. But as far as I can see so far, I have confidence in the carbon arrow for hunting.....

Thanks.....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Arrow test today

Your variables are bit more than carbon vs aluminium.

To be straight, I have not used aluminium for some time now, using carbons exclusively and see few reasons to shoot alu's, none of which effect the adult casual shooter.
    That said, if you have both sets tuned to your bow, there should be no clumsiness or consistency issues just (maybe) a slight difference in efficiency with the carbons (depending on their gpi's) being a wee bit faster.

Did you tune your arrows? cos' both those would seem stiff to me unless you're shooting them long with bricks up front

All things being equal, like length/weight/point weight/fletchings etc, etc at that distance and skill level, differences would minor if at all.

You are right with carbons though, I just think you need a proper tune (maybe a lighter spine) to draw any conclusions

Agree with Marc. 2117 out of a 40 lb recurve are way too stiff unless you have a very long draw or a ton of weight up front. If your arrows are 28 inches long you'd need in the neighbourhood of 300 grains up front. With a 125 grain head you'd need arrows between 33 and 34 inches long. There are other factors that come into play such as degree of centershot but I'm thinking arrows are way too stiff. Keep in mind that in professional target archery there were perfect scores shot with aluminum. In addition if you check carbons against aluminum you may find the tins are more consistent in weight and spine. All that being said, there is nothing wrong with carbons but they do need to be tuned to the archer and the bow.

SeaScene , your 400 carbons are way over spined . Keep in mind the carbon rateings are based on a compound bow . For instance a 500 (35-55lb) GT actually spine out at 66lb ,and 600 (15-35lb) spine out at 57lb .
    I use GT 600 out of my 40 and 37 lb bows with 10 gns per lb with fast and quiet results .

Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 12-08-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Agree with Marc. 2117 out of a 40 lb recurve are way too stiff unless you have a very long draw or a ton of weight up front. If your arrows are 28 inches long you'd need in the neighbourhood of 300 grains up front. With a 125 grain head you'd need arrows between 33 and 34 inches long. There are other factors that come into play such as degree of centershot but I'm thinking arrows are way too stiff. Keep in mind that in professional target archery there were perfect scores shot with aluminum. In addition if you check carbons against aluminum you may find the tins are more consistent in weight and spine. All that being said, there is nothing wrong with carbons but they do need to be tuned to the archer and the bow.
    Thanks for that GB... I must look up and learn a bit more about the science of archery. I did google for this and got this which glazed my eyes shut: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=701153

The trajectory of my arrows was not missile pretty entirely but my grouping is good after 6 months of practice. So I am off to Bucky's in Ladysmith coupla days to buy the best bet arrows. Advice appreciated about arrows for hunting given my draw of 28 1/2 inches? (Samic sage 40 lb re-curve) Thanks in advance and I will educate myself further on the tech side.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaScene View Post
    Thanks for that GB... I must look up and learn a bit more about the science of archery. I did google for this and got this which glazed my eyes shut: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=701153

The trajectory of my arrows was not missile pretty entirely but my grouping is good after 6 months of practice. So I am off to Bucky's in Ladysmith coupla days to buy the best bet arrows. Advice appreciated about arrows for hunting given my draw of 28 1/2 inches? (Samic sage 40 lb re-curve) Thanks in advance and I will educate myself further on the tech side.
    What is your desired point weight?

If you are OK with shooting your arrows a bit long (recommended - broadhead clearance and tighter sight picture) you might get away with 500's but you could end up with 600's based on a (reasonable) point of 125gr. More hardcore bowhunters than I may chime in with the need to go heavier on the point, they are not wrong but I like to keep my hunting arrows closer to my 3D arrows for consistency and accuracy so I like 125grs for that, your mileage may vary.

Also, do you have a stock string on that Sage or have you got a fast flight on it? the stock string is garbage and it is fast flight compatible which gives you a MUCH more efficient bow which, in turn would change the dynamic of your tune.

If you are happy with your technique, do yourself a favour and learn how to bare shaft tune.......it's not effective if whats behind the bow is sketchy but it's a pretty essential knowledge to have if you want to progress. It's very simple to learn and as far as you NEED to take tuning in the one string game.
    3Rivers archery do spine testing kits so you can get to try different spines and tip weight. A very good idea.

Ask Santa Claus for the book "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera. A great reference for anything you need which includes much on tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by OutsyderBC View Post

If you are OK with shooting your arrows a bit long (recommended - broadhead clearance and tighter sight picture) you might get away with 500's but you could end up with 600's based on a (reasonable) point of 125gr. More hardcore bowhunters than I may chime in with the need to go heavier on the point, they are not wrong but I like to keep my hunting arrows closer to my 3D arrows for consistency and accuracy so I like 125grs for that, your mileage may vary.

Also, do you have a stock string on that Sage or have you got a fast flight on it? the stock string is garbage and it is fast flight compatible which gives you a MUCH more efficient bow which, in turn would change the dynamic of your tune.

If you are happy with your technique, do yourself a favour and learn how to bare shaft tune.......it's not effective if whats behind the bow is sketchy but it's a pretty essential knowledge to have if you want to progress. It's very simple to learn and as far as you NEED to take tuning in the one string game.
    3Rivers archery do spine testing kits so you can get to try different spines and tip weight. A very good idea.

Ask Santa Claus for the book "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera. A great reference for anything you need which includes much on tuning.
    Wonderful... thanks. Buckys in Ladysmith sold me the bow and provided an upgraded string from the one supplied. I will be getting that book you mentioned. Much appreciated...

Between bad weather I finally did get out for some arrow testing for this bow. I have not tried 600's because the 500 arrow I did try is working beautifully...no wobble straight as an "arrow". Feather fletching, Cabelas Stalker Extreme 500, 45/60, 7.3 gm with 125 gr target point. Such a dramatic improvement over the 400's as needs to be seen to believe. Thanks for the input....

Quote Originally Posted by OutsyderBC View Post