Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buck 3/3 - Blacktail #2 - December

Re: Buck 3/3 - Blacktail #2 - December

Going down those steep wet slopes under load in the dark is tuff for sure. Will make it taste better tho. Nice buck and effort....thanks for posting
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Great writeup and nice buck congrats, love the dark antlers..

Beautiful buck!! You're right about the big noggin on him. Looks like an old timer.
    Thanks for the story and congratulations.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Congrats on the nice buck!! Looking forward to the others!!

Funny I was just reading up on packs and just read the one where the price for a SG was $900, you ahd some valid comments and you ended up picking an older one up off another member. How did the pack work for you on this jaunt??

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    Congrats on the nice buck!! Looking forward to the others!!

Funny I was just reading up on packs and just read the one where the price for a SG was $900, you ahd some valid comments and you ended up picking an older one up off another member. How did the pack work for you on this jaunt??

Cheers

SS
    I like to think i'm open minded to new things. But i'm also sceptical of a lot of things. So when someone brings up a $900 pack, yeah, i'm going to question it. lol.
    With the exchange rate and shipping, yes, the SG packs are probably running at $900 or so. But, there is no way on earth i was going to pay that much.

In our debate on these packs earlier this year a member on here offered to sell his Krux frame so that he can upgrade to the new one. I decided to buy it. I contacted Kurt at SG and was able to get a damaged (and repaired) Sky Archer 6900 bag for $125 for it and decided to give this a go.

The pack is incredible. It weighs 4.5lb and hauls weight like it's not even there. The meat shelf is quite good at preventing the whole "ball of meat at the bottom of the pack" feeling. I prefer to debone and pack into a couple of large pillow cases, and put each into a 20L dry bag to keep the blood from leaking everywhere during the packout. I find 2 make it easier to layer and flatten the meat on the load shelf so that it makes a taller, slimmer pack that's closer to your spine, rather than one big, fat ball of meat.

The pack worked well. I packed out 4 bucks this year with it. My 3 and my dad's 2 point from early october. I have nothing but good things to say about its comfort and load carrying abilities. I do have a few things that I find annoying, though.

* A pack this expensive, should have come with at least one small hip belt pocket for your GPS or range finder or some small item like that.
    * The side pockets are only good for trekking poles or butt of your rifle, they can't hold a water bottle.
    * The inside could have had a little strap or hook for hanging your hydration bladder. (It was simple to make my own but still)
    * The lumbar pad on the hip belt squeaks against a leather belt. You gotta wear a shirt un-tucked or a canvas belt.

As you can see, the annoyances that come to mind are all minor. If you have the money, or are able to find one used for a good price, i'd definitely recommend it.

That's a great buck! Thanks for the excellent story. The last 3 bucks I've shot I've taken down the mountain in a pack. Last year I shot a blacktail in steep terrain right near dusk. I ended up sliding him downhill for a long time before I could take him apart. You have to do some crazy stuff sometimes when hunting blacktail but I love it!

Beautiful animal! Nice work.

Great story with even a better ending! Great looking buck congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by GoOutside View Post
    Beautiful animal! Nice work.
    Not quite up to the standards you set with your two, but it was great fun nonetheless