Thread: Topographic features for scouting

Topographic features for scouting

Hey everyone,

Been working on a lot of GIS stuff and doing lots of landscape characterization for work, but hoping to do some of his for personal gain too.
    I was wondering if other people here frequently use particular landscape combinations or topographic features to help inform them where they should begin their scouting from.
    Ideally, thinking of areas where you don't know much about the ecology of the system, but need to find characteristics that improve your scouting efficiency.

I know this is much more well established in ungulate hunting, but wondering how frequent it is for other types of hunts.
    http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/...whunter/topos/
    http://wiredtohunt.com/2014/08/13/us...operties-fast/

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Topographic features for scouting

I used topographic maps often for trapping as it was a great tool for predicting bobcat migration

Using topo maps for hunting/scouting is an age old practice for all species. Probably still have stacks of marked paper topo maps hidden away

Just need to understand what your looking for regarding each species.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I used topographic maps often for trapping as it was a great tool for predicting bobcat migration
    Using topo maps for hunting/scouting is an age old practice for all species. Probably still have stacks of marked paper topo maps hidden away
    Just need to understand what your looking for regarding each species.
    Exactly, that's what I'm hoping to compile digitally, are species characterization related to landscape, in hopes of developing a quick tool that can help identify features useful for hunters.
    I'm slowly working through this:Predictive Species and Habitat Modeling in Landscape Ecology http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9781441973894
    But it's much more slanted to conservation biology than hunting, and is a very global synthesis, whereas habitat use seems to very context dependent necessitating a lot of area specific behavioural trends.

Hadn't thought of going through trapping literature though, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jassmine View Post
    Hey everyone,

Been working on a lot of GIS stuff and doing lots of landscape characterization for work, but hoping to do some of his for personal gain too.
    I was wondering if other people here frequently use particular landscape combinations or topographic features to help inform them where they should begin their scouting from.
    Ideally, thinking of areas where you don't know much about the ecology of the system, but need to find characteristics that improve your scouting efficiency.

I know this is much more well established in ungulate hunting, but wondering how frequent it is for other types of hunts.
    http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/...whunter/topos/
    http://wiredtohunt.com/2014/08/13/us...operties-fast/
    Since I have a computer based job, and live in Vancouver . . . I can't get my boots on the ground as much as I want [until I retire to Kamloops in a few].

So do a lot of "scouting" using Google earth maps. After pinpointing a potential area, deploying trail cameras in that region helps get my eyes there.

I've got a pretty good spatial remembrance memory, so can transfer what I see to the actual location(s). Did cartography [map making] in college, so can also interpret topo maps that into real world features, but the Google Earth is much nicer and can show habitat [but not always up to date].

In the field and at work, I use https://www.onxmaps.com/ to keep my data and waypoints. I can access this in the off-cell/grid areas on my phone since the iPhone's GPS always is always receiving [even without cellular].

I fully embrace the high tech approach, but prefer to get the boots on the ground. Find the high tech info helps me know where to target especially in big country, but making the decision on camera placement comes from understanding game. The snow from a few weeks ago helped me target active game trails and all of that was recorded in the onX application for future use and analysis [like why is that a used trail]. Still learning, but it's a way to keep "huntin" after the season is over.

Cheers, VFX

Especially trapping wise you won’t find much in writing as there is a lack of documentation. This information is often hidden away with the trappers them selves. Truth is many trappers have a far superior understanding of the fur bears they trap and their trap lines then the bios because of a huge difference in regards to time in the field

I can tell you for a fact every time my self or another trapper helped a bio with a project we often have to do a lot of educating and fixing flaws

want to learn the true habits of fur bears earn a trappers respect and be humble when you do. Most have little patience for being approached with arrogance

As for hunting wise information about using topo maps for big game is basically endless. This is a tool even my grandpa used so far from ground breaking. Hunters are also more open about sharing tactics. Just don’t ask for hard earned data on a species in a specific location this will be tight lipped

Your using onxmaps here in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by PKernohan View Post
    Your using onxmaps here in Canada?
    Yes, the onX base map is usable and better than google maps in the regions I hunt. Since I needed to have a USA map, I picked the WA state map and just ignore it.

I used the Trimble GPS hunt previously, but they discontinued that --- so transferred my data [manually] over to onX.

Top is as tight as I can go with Google Maps and the bottom is as tight I can go on onX base map. BUT, I can not get the 3d terrain view on onX that I can get with google - but I don't use the 3d terrain view in the bush on the iPhone.