Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Hunters Paths To Success

Re: New Hunters Paths To Success

Way to go Tracy. Perseverance, lots of hard work mixed with a bit of luck equals success. He looks like a good eater.

Quote Originally Posted by longwalk View Post
    Way to go Tracy. Perseverance, lots of hard work mixed with a bit of luck equals success. He looks like a good eater.
    Thank you so much and thank you again for all your help!

Wow 5 star rating! Thanks everyone! So glad everyone has enjoyed the story.

I just got a call that my deer is ready. Great timing because my deep freeze arrived today haha. The hanging weight was 76lbs. I'm assuming I lost a few pounds with the fat trimming and what not but I'm not sure how that compares to most whitetails. I'm assuming on the smaller side? I know my brothers 2 point mulie was around 90lbs if I remember correctly. Either way, I can't wait to get it home and in the freezer!

Re: My Hunting Seasons So Far

Great story!!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Way to go! Very nice first buck! When you wrote that when the doe walked behind you and you wern't sure what to do, I was saying to myself "just sit a wait", and of course that is what you did and it paid off! No your hooked for sure.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Hey Dash, thanks for the great read. What others gave to you in advice you've repaid in entertainment value.

What I actually enjoyed most was that you took me back to the time when I too was so filled with excitement over hunting trips that I could hardly contain myself. I still enjoy hunting road trips now, but things are more mellow even on the most exciting of trips.

One of my observations about my own success, and I'm thinking yours too from the sounds of it, is that when I started being more relaxed, less pressured to succeed in the kill, the more successful I was and the more enjoyable hunting became. In the early days I felt so pressured to succeed it was a miracle I got any enjoyment out of it at all. You may have missed a few chances, but under that kind of pressure it's not surprising you may have missed a couple of good chances.

Keep up the good work and the enthusiasm!!

The next step is getting a couple of boning knives, a small grinder and and some meat wrap so you can see the process through from start to finish.

Enjoyed the detailed write up and congrats on a beautiful buck

Awesome, congrats! I just posted a similar story in mid November as my son and I got our first buck. It took us about as long as it took you. Man it felt great! I had all the same emotions, so happy. Sharing it with my son was fantastic.

The worst part is I don't think any other deer will give us that same feeling as the first. On the other hand, at least we're old enough to remember it!

Congrats again.

Quote Originally Posted by longwalk View Post
    The next step is getting a couple of boning knives, a small grinder and and some meat wrap so you can see the process through from start to finish.
    I meant to mention this as well.

You already have the deer skinned and hung. Butchering it is actually not as hard as you might think as the muscle groups come apart very easily. The money you pay to have it done for you could purchase the gear you'll want to do it at home. It's worth it.

Watch some YouTube videos on it.

Maybe next year!

Nice work & beauty deer! Great to see some new hunters getting out there! The harder that you work, the more rewarding is uour success...
    The mountains are calling & I must go. ~Muir