Thread: Ungulates and Water

Threaded View

guest Guest

Ungulates and Water

You often hear, that Deer, Moose, Elk etcetc must at some time go to water. I've often thought about this and a couple weeks ago think I figured something out ...... Or at least part way.

Ive often hunted in areas where obvious water to me is non existent. That said, other areas, water can be found easy. In high, dry alpine, or early season in mid mountain forests, water is tough to find for me but maybe easy for ungulates. It's always been my opinion that they don't have to go to water, or at least visable ponds, lakes, creeks rivers or streams, I personally have thought they get a lot of their much needed water from the very plant or vegitation they are consuming. Be it water laying on leaves, from rain or overnight dew. This I thought to be true specially on those dry dry years early season chasing Deer, Goat or Sheep.

Fast forward to a couple weeks back, while expecting snow and lots of it in late November we were disappointed to again find warm temperatures for our late deer hunts. Rain at 4000-5000 foot elevations. Watching, observing several deer, a few bucks and lots of does, I watched several deer licking themselves all over from their backs to sides to down the entire legs. This while light snow or rain fell upon them. Very interesting indeed. Hence my thought of where they get water, or do they even need it?

I would be be very interested to know from a Biologists point of view what their take is on this subject.

What at have you observed, experienced etc etc.

Ive been at this game for over fifty years now and continue to learn ...... Some things never cease to amaze me with Wildlife and their survival.

What's your take?

CT
    Last edited by guest; 12-06-2017 at 05:00 PM.

2. Site Sponsor