Thread: Another Great Hunt !

Another Great Hunt !

Two weeks prior to my annual late season WT Rock Ck hunt , came down with that damn cold with a cough you can`t get rid of . The thought of " why the hell am I doing this " popped up several times . 45 years of hunting Rock Ck with rifle (15) , Compound (12) and Traditional (1 provided adventure with self worth but this year seemed a bit pointless . Made a couple of promises so forced my CNN ass off the couch to Tree stand mode and headed out !
    Surprise by the lack of snow and nice temperatures gave way to seven days of on and off snow with no wind and overcast . One day scouting and setting up tree stand in a slightly different location where snow was more prevalent .
    Next morning in the stand at first light and what seems like a calm awakening of the forest is pure magic . Twenty minutes later I`m shocked to see a large 5 point suddenly approach to 18 yards where at the slight motion of drawing my longbow he blew out . What a start to this hunt ! The next five days saw several does , but the highlights were squeeking in an Ermine for twenty min of entertainment and various squirrels one of which would bounce on the end of thin rose hip branches reaching that last seed .
    Last morning is highlighted by a slowly meandering 4 point at 60 yds , using a cough threatening mouth call He took his time but came into 40 yards and hung up . My next call with a bit of cough mixed in resulted in the buck last seen headed up a local hillside . LOL
    Back home with all the unloading done am going to do nothing and let this tired 78 year old frame recover .
    Next year , well will think about it !
    Last edited by greybark; 12-06-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Another Great Hunt !

Sorry ,can`t amend . Traditional (1 . WTF 18 damn it .
    Last edited by greybark; 12-06-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Well sir should be able to hit 90 in a tree stand.Gotta keep movin!!
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Sorry I couldn't make it but I couldn"t leave the action in my neck of the woods. Had a four point whitey walk by me at 35 yds, too far for my recurve. It is an amazing thing just to see that from the comfort of a tree stand. Got him on video tho!

Greybark, never give in too old age, you got 10yrs on me but keep er goin, slow the physical hunt down and leave it for the younger partners, some year when I'm tired and find it tough, hell I'm still goin to be there but maybe be the camp cook and cleaner and ride around on a quad grouse hunting but I'm goin. Nice spot you got for the time you put in, better luck next year.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Sounds like a great hunt! Keep on going! Good luck next year.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Greybark, never give in too old age, you got 10yrs on me but keep er goin, slow the physical hunt down and leave it for the younger partners, some year when I'm tired and find it tough, hell I'm still goin to be there but maybe be the camp cook and cleaner and ride around on a quad grouse hunting but I'm goin. Nice spot you got for the time you put in, better luck next year.
    I appreciate you post Tomahawk , age has a way of making so many aspects of a hunt that overlooked when young become so vibrant and meaningful later on.
    Cheers and good fortune on your future hunts !
    Last edited by greybark; 12-09-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC