Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cranbrook Whities

Re: Cranbrook Whities

Quote Originally Posted by 604redneck View Post
    Guess you forgot to consider all the factors into your equation.
    Whitetail are the most studied ungulate in North America. They adapt and thrive in sub-par habitat better than any other species in the province. The complaints have far more to do with the rampant NIMBY attitude in the EK/WK than it does an actual concern for whitetail numbers.

No shortage of literature out there on whitetail. Maybe have a read through some of it.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post

No shortage of literature out there on whitetail. Maybe have a read through some of it.
    True, but by spending a lot of time in the woods, not just road hunting, you will definitely notice a decline in the numbers over the past few years.. As per F-D's favorite quote "not a conservation concern", however has been a dramatic reduction..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Study by well-known BC biologist Ian Hatter on whitetail management options.

%Male.......%Female....Buck/doe.....Fawn/doe....Stable Herd.....Sustained
    harvest.......harvest.......ratio.............rati o.............size............harvest

0%...........0%...........50/100...........24/100.............10,000.............0
    25%..........0%..........19/100...........24/100.............10,000..........333
    50%..........0%...........9/100............24/100.............10,000..........322
    25%.........13%.........43/100............56/100..............8,160........1,242
    50%.........25%.........32/100............97/100..............5,875........1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    Whitetail are the most studied ungulate in North America. They adapt and thrive in sub-par habitat better than any other species in the province. The complaints have far more to do with the rampant NIMBY attitude in the EK/WK than it does an actual concern for whitetail numbers.

The habitat has nothing to do with it.....
    like i said i dont care where people hunt but you are not getting that the states south of the border with the largest white tail deer populations that allow large doe harvests with no negative affects dont have the same predators or climate.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Quote Originally Posted by 604redneck View Post
    The habitat has nothing to do with it.....
    like i said i dont care where people hunt but you are not getting that the states south of the border with the largest white tail deer populations that allow large doe harvests with no negative affects dont have the same predators or climate.
    Predation has been shown to have less of an effect on deer populations than we've been led to believe.

Effects are compensatory. High predation gives low deaths from poor habitat while low predation sees deaths from poor habitat go up.
    Last edited by Fisher-Dude; 12-06-2017 at 10:15 AM.
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Study by well-known BC biologist Ian Hatter on whitetail management options.

%Male.......%Female....Buck/doe.....Fawn/doe....Stable Herd.....Sustained
    harvest.......harvest.......ratio.............rati o.............size............harvest

0%...........0%...........50/100...........24/100.............10,000.............0
    25%..........0%..........19/100...........24/100.............10,000..........333
    50%..........0%...........9/100............24/100.............10,000..........322
    25%.........13%.........43/100............56/100..............8,160........1,242
    50%.........25%.........32/100............97/100..............5,875........1,674
    Sorry , but these numbers just dont jive .....more bucks = less pregnant does and less fawns ? What text book is that from .?
    The school of reality says something different . Especially with wt .

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Sorry , but these numbers just dont jive .....more bucks = less pregnant does and less fawns ? What text book is that from .?
    The school of reality says something different . Especially with wt .
    So data from the best whitetail deer biologists in North America is all wrong?

The data does jive. More surplus bucks on winter range = less fawn survival. More surplus bucks does not equal higher pregnancy rates when we can get >90% pregnancy rates with buck:doe ratios as low as 8:100. That's a simple fact. And that's why we harvest the surplus bucks, to keep herds productive with fawn recruitment.

The same holds true with antlerless harvest. Adults on winter range displace proportionally more fawns and lead to fawn deaths. A 150 lb dry doe will eat the same amount of food as three 50 lb fawns - you recruit fawns and grow or supplement harvest with fawn survival. Keeping surplus adults while your fawns die = a shrinking, dead population.

Lots of half truths dont equal the truth ...... i never said suplus bucks equal higher pregnacy rates ...... but it doesnt make lower rates either . And survival rate would be determined by lots of factors including hunting . You mention "surplus" deer .... we dont have that luxury ...
    Your method may work fine in a controlled environment but ...

Hunters have the choice...Just because you can shoot 2 doe deer doesn't mean you have to. Hunters need to be part of the solution or continue to be part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Hunters have the choice...Just because you can shoot 2 doe deer doesn't mean you have to. Hunters need to be part of the solution or continue to be part of the problem.
    I for one am glad it was dropped to one..

Not based on science, just on numbers decreasing that I have been seeing the past few years.
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main