Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cranbrook Whities

Re: Cranbrook Whities

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    There is a pile of whitetails out there. Head on over and fill your boots. Good luck.
    I've seen lots this year. Just need to get out of the areas that get heavy traffic, I've been seeing over a dozen every day. Big bucks are pretty tricky though.

What's lots? Have heard that before A hunter sees 10 deer in a weekend and says lots, when normal you see 30 deer a day! Last winter was particular hard on last years fawns= lack of small bucks this year.

Way down? LOL! Our doe season barely even registers on the radar when you compare it to the majority of places south of the border. They can't kill the things fast enough down there. Even in counties where it's mandatory to shoot a doe before being issued a buck tag they aren't able to knock the numbers back.

Our whitetail doe season is one of the most under-utilized hunts in the entire province. Numbers are fine. I guess it might be a little tougher to drive around and kill one from the truck nowadays though..
    Nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Nailed it.
    Idno I'm not a road hunter but from the cams I set up maybe there patterns changed because I have had half of the deer showing up that have in previous years... let's say around 30 cams set up and have about 8-10 different deer every 2 week period show up multiple pictures 2 regions . This year half the deer total bucks and doe/fawns . I ended up taking my biggest whitey to date but numbers are way down IMO

How's the mulie population near cranbrook?

Way down? LOL! Our doe season barely even registers on the radar when you compare it to the majority of places south of the border. They can't kill the things fast enough down there. Even in counties where it's mandatory to shoot a doe before being issued a buck tag they aren't able to knock the numbers back.

Our whitetail doe season is one of the most under-utilized hunts in the entire province. Numbers are fine. I guess it might be a little tougher to drive around and kill one from the truck nowadays though..
    Geez, they better keep the season open longer if there is still that many, as the idea of a general opener on WT does is to lower the WT pops in the hope it helps the Mule deer. It sure is working in region 8 as in 7 days hunting I never saw even a doe during the early rut.

I have been hunting the same area for over 40 years, the deer are getting smarter I was told, exellent at calculus and the art of leaving no tracks in the snow.

^^^ Truth.

In our 9 day trip to the EK in October, least we saw in an outing (morning and evening hunts) was 5, most we saw was 17.

The locals whine because they don't want you hunting "their" deer. The locals also seem to ignore what grows healthy herds and want a 150 class buck around every corner. Thing is, harvest across age and sex classes will result in more fawns surviving and more 150 class bucks than targeting males only, but that doesn't keep LMLers away.

It's one hell of a battle between social constructs and managing whitetailed deer these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Guess you forgot to consider all the factors into your equation.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

I love how all the guys saying there is lots of deer here don't actually live here. I work in forestry all around the EK, and numbers are way down from 5-6yrs ago. I'm not saying you won't see any, but way less than there was. Anyone who spends year round in the bush over here will tell you the numbers aren't there. The migration trails in the snow out of the main valleys are non-existent except for a few lone tracks. Liberal doe seasons, and predators have been the whitetails demise around here. I won't start on mule deer because I grew up in southern Alberta and can't convince myself to shoot any small 4pt.

Quote Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
    i love how all the guys saying there is lots of deer here don't actually live here. I work in forestry all around the ek, and numbers are way down from 5-6yrs ago. I'm not saying you won't see any, but way less than there was. Anyone who spends year round in the bush over here will tell you the numbers aren't there. The migration trails in the snow out of the main valleys are non-existent except for a few lone tracks. Liberal doe seasons, and predators have been the whitetails demise around here. I won't start on mule deer because i grew up in southern alberta and can't convince myself to shoot any small 4pt.

nailed it...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main