Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Cranbrook Whities

Re: Cranbrook Whities

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    As someone who is die hard on WT yes they are often in that bush unseen in my opinion

I know lots of places that you rarely see WT in the open. With the added pressure of people targeting WT more once the doe season was created it has become even more common. There is tons of feed that does not involve cut blocks

I strictly target thick bush because of this

I would agree numbers are lower in some locations but buck vs doe ratios are better in the past there was way higher doe numbers

I pretty much agree ..... wt are in no danger of being over hunted ..... and yes the big boys do go nocturnal and or stay in the bushes
    when pressured .....
    Over and out

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    I pretty much agree ..... wt are in no danger of being over hunted ..... and yes the big boys do go nocturnal and or stay in the bushes
    when pressured .....
    Over and out
    Whitetail does and bucks are of the same species and will react the same when pressured. We used to rely on the rut to bring the bucks out to find the does in more open terrain but now the game has changed.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Oh ? Isnt this the same stratigy being used to save the caribou from predators ? using the moose as a sacrifice . How is that working out ?
    Whitetail are a completely different animal than moose, breed at a far higher rate, and mule deer are different than caribou...predation greatly effects caribou, but what effects them more, is the same old word we've heard so much, habitat....caribou rely heavily on the old growth forests and forage on the lichens etc that exist in those forests, forests that have been reduced - habitat loss..comparing apples to oranges...

You may be correct in the cranbrook area?In my personal experience in the okanagan, I would be correct.
    I have seen Wt out grazing in the wide open fields just as the mule deer do . Same with cut blocks. I have shot maybe 10-15 mulie bucks and 25-30 wt ... no does. less than some more than others .....
    It depends on the terrain , but the WT do adapt better if thats your point ?
    My point was if the cut blocks dont have deer tracks , I seriously doubt that its because the wt are there but staying in the bushes ....
    I completely agree that whitetail adapt very well...and yes, you will find a lot of sign in the thick stuff..sign doesn't lie, there's more out there than people think..

I've been snooping thru this thread and one thing that stands out is how polar the opinions are.

I have contacts that make quick work of does in their annual EK WT trip.
    I also read that credible guys that spend a decent amount of hours in the field report traditional and heavily used migration trails and yarding areas showing a perceived downturn in traffic.

The common opinion of those that are reporting numbers being way down instantly point to the doe season as the driver.
    Across the border (spitting distance away, very similar timber types, patterns and weather) they have even more liberal WT doe seasons with a greater harvest than adjacent areas in BC. Their populations remain stable.
    I will post up their data soon.

My point being, IF WT numbers are way down as reported by some in the E and WK, are we 100% sure it is solely harvest related? Why would an area adjacent to us show different results? Why are all other areas in North America not experiencing what we are reporting (as hunters) ?

To quickly point the finger at Regs is a knee jerk response.
    There may be more to this purported downturn of WT in some areas of BC considering neighboring regions do not share the same results.

It is a fact that overall wildlife numbers are imploding in BC, both hunted and non hunted species and sexes.
    More to this than seasons and Regs potentially.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

What states allow more than 3 deer two being antlerless?

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    States a fair number

Alberta you can as well

but B.C. does not match these areas for WT population and does not restrict WT doe harvest in some of its lower populations. WT doe harvest is good but I don’t agree with some of the MUs it has been applied

We are talking WT in the WK and EK.
    Bag limit of one antlerless.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Washington state. 22.7 % public land which amounts to 13000000 acres giving 2.1 acres per person to hunt.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

There are zones in Minnesota that are no bag limit for whitetailed does.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !