Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cranbrook Whities

Cranbrook Whities

Thinking of maybe changing our annual whitetail trip from the kettle valley to the Cranbrook area. Heard there were lots of whities and mulies there. Anybody willing to share if its worth going to that area or not. Not looking for spots in particular just wondering about number of animals in the area. Also what time of year is the best there ( rut time)? Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cranbrook Whities

Population is WAY down over past years...

5 years of a 21 day 2 doe season has an impact
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post

this is the sad truth. A prime example of our government destroying not managing a population
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

We hunt about an hour north of Cranbrook . I was absolutely amazed at the drop in whitetail deer numbers this year. No BS, if you would have told me before I went that I would have only seen as many deer as we did, I would have said you were on crack. Not trying to protect a secret area or anything. PM me and I'll be happy to tell you where I hunt.

It always amazes me when hunters go out and shoot does or cows and then a few years afterwards complain that animal populations are way down and we need more funding to figure out what happened ! Shoot females and you are sure to effect overall population,and all those studies that say you need to harvest across the hole population might work in areas that have no winter mortality, cougars,wolves,bears,or FN hunting year round. NOT B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Thinking of maybe changing our annual whitetail trip from the kettle valley to the Cranbrook area. Heard there were lots of whities and mulies there. Anybody willing to share if its worth going to that area or not. Not looking for spots in particular just wondering about number of animals in the area. Also what time of year is the best there ( rut time)? Thanks.
    You should hunt blacktails in region 2 probably about the same odds of success. White tails in 4 and 8 are way down and it is the governments fault by allowing the stupid seasons and bag limits. I live in region 8 and took 1 trip to the kettle this year and its worse than last year and put the nail in the coffin for me on that spot. I shot a 3x3 white tail outside of skookumchuck last year on our hunt which was great eating but realistically 10 days there and we saw half of what we saw the previous years. You may have better luck in creston area but its dwindling there as well. If you dont live in an area or work there its a waste of gas if you actually care about success. If its just about the trip pick somewhere new every year and change the scenery.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

thanks guys for the feedback. appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post

Way down? LOL! Our doe season barely even registers on the radar when you compare it to the majority of places south of the border. They can't kill the things fast enough down there. Even in counties where it's mandatory to shoot a doe before being issued a buck tag they aren't able to knock the numbers back.

Our whitetail doe season is one of the most under-utilized hunts in the entire province. Numbers are fine. I guess it might be a little tougher to drive around and kill one from the truck nowadays though..
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    There is a pile of whitetails out there. Head on over and fill your boots. Good luck.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

I was about an hour north of Cranbrook in October and in 5 days saw 1 Buck cross a road around noon(was driving to a spot, not really expecting to see one and had no shot), saw one Buck after shooting light, and saw about 5 does over those 5 days. 2 I could have shot and decided not to.