Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Cranbrook Whities

Re: Cranbrook Whities

I agree dougan ..... while I am new to the WK , talking with long time residents presents a far better picture (accurate)of whats happening than any biologists view .
    The area of the Okanagan I moved from , I don't need a biology degree to see the changes either ....

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Mule deer were declining before the short, recent stint of any buck (two seasons, IIRC).

Mule deer continued to decline after it went back to 4 point.

Mule deer, however, did not decline for the decades when it was any buck for all season, and a long season at that with nearly twice as many hunters as we have now.

1981 region 4 deer regulations:

MULE (Black-talled) DEER
    And WHITE - TAILED DEER
    Bucks: Sept.10 - Nov.30 2
    Bucks: Sept.1O - Dec.10 2
    Bucks: Sept.10 - Nov.15 2

Tell me again how a few weeks of any buck for two years devastated the mule deer population a couple of years ago, but a 3 month any buck season with a 2 buck limit didn't cause any population declines before the late 1990s.
    IMO the decline started back in the 80s so was wondering if you could show the yearly population data from the 80s on mule deer in region 4 just the EK stuff if you want and by MU, since each MU is different.
    If you could also show the data showing what MUs people were hunting in at that time would be great as well, for see more hunters now then back then as well.
    Thanks
    Last edited by LBM; 12-07-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    I’m more of a believe what I can see for myself person than believe some formula someone else has come up with. After spending countless hours and miles In the forest and noting sign left by actual deer and seeing actual deer or what’s left of them in region 4 I will with conviction say numbers are way way down . FD you once argued about fawn mortality of blacktail on vancouver island wich I don’t believe you would have a hint of a clue about in the first place so don’t try selling me your science I’m not buying!!!
    Fd is not saying numbers are aren’t down.
    Obviously they are, the culprits? Habitat loss, predators poor winter ranges and likely competition from people and cows in general terms.

And their survival strategies have changed, mature bucks make themselves very scarce.

I have hunted Ek muleys since the early 80ties, and agree they are down considerably in overall numbers.

They need our help, not our bitching.
    Blacktailaholic

Quote Originally Posted by antlerking View Post
    It always amazes me when hunters go out and shoot does or cows and then a few years afterwards complain that animal populations are way down and we need more funding to figure out what happened ! Shoot females and you are sure to effect overall population,and all those studies that say you need to harvest across the hole population might work in areas that have no winter mortality, cougars,wolves,bears,or FN hunting year round. NOT B.C.
    I don't believe the locals are to blame. I hunt around cranbrook for elk but we leave just before the doe season opens up. My relatives tell me the place turns into a shooting gallery after that, all the out of town hunters come thinking "well at least we will be guaranteed some meat" and the shoot up all of the does. The locals I know won't even take one and they bascially pack up after the doe season starts due to the increased traffic
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    I don't believe the locals are to blame. I hunt around cranbrook for elk but we leave just before the doe season opens up. My relatives tell me the place turns into a shooting gallery after that, all the out of town hunters come thinking "well at least we will be guaranteed some meat" and the shoot up all of the does. The locals I know won't even take one and they bascially pack up after the doe season starts due to the increased traffic
    Your relatives are certainly exaggerating. But of course, they just don't like lower mainlanders hunting their areas.

We hunt the EK annually in October. The vast majority of people we see are locals.

This year when we pulled into our forestry campsite a couple of days before the antlerless opening, the only other campers were a couple of lesbian kayakers. One other hunting outfit showed a couple of days later, guys that we meet there every year. The rest that came and went were local fishermen and families picnicking.

8/10 vehicles we see are locals. Don't believe the out-of-towner slaughter bullshit for one minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Your relatives are certainly exaggerating. But of course, they just don't like lower mainlanders hunting their areas.

We hunt the EK annually in October. The vast majority of people we see are locals.

This year when we pulled into our forestry campsite a couple of days before the antlerless opening, the only other campers were a couple of lesbian kayakers. One other hunting outfit showed a couple of days later, guys that we meet there every year. The rest that came and went were local fishermen and families picnicking.

8/10 vehicles we see are locals. Don't believe the out-of-towner slaughter bullshit for one minute.
    I don't think they are exaggerating in their spot. They literally do pull out due to frustration of increased traffic where they hunt.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

how do you know they were lesbians story and pics please.
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    Agreed... Burning at the right time of the year in the right place...

gcreek may have an issue with that...

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    how do you know they were lesbians story and pics please.
    Pics of them would spoil your fantasy, guaranteed.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Pics of them would spoil your fantasy, guaranteed.
    lol one was a bull than eh! Yeesh
    wonder what’s over the next hill?