Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Cranbrook Whities

Re: Cranbrook Whities

another anecdotal comment I should have added to my only other post on this thread. I dropped off my goat to one of the cranbrook taxidermy guys at the beginning of December after getting the CI done. We talked about the tough season it was and he mentioned he had never before only received one local deer to do up. Nothing scientific there, but it does suggest less big bucks were taken. I followed this up tonight with local popular butcher on picking up my goat garlic coil and chilli pepper smokies. He surprisingly only seen one big buck come in this year. So... I'd say my unorthodox population inquiries lead me to believe that last winter was pretty devastating, at least on big bucks. Still trying to find one though, one week left!

Quote Originally Posted by Elkchaser View Post
    another anecdotal comment I should have added to my only other post on this thread. I dropped off my goat to one of the cranbrook taxidermy guys at the beginning of December after getting the CI done. We talked about the tough season it was and he mentioned he had never before only received one local deer to do up. Nothing scientific there, but it does suggest less big bucks were taken. I followed this up tonight with local popular butcher on picking up my goat garlic coil and chilli pepper smokies. He surprisingly only seen one big buck come in this year. So... I'd say my unorthodox population inquiries lead me to believe that last winter was pretty devastating, at least on big bucks. Still trying to find one though, one week left!
    Yet some still look at regulations as to why numbers and harvest appear to be going down.
    Fewer animals on the landscape = fewer harvests.

It's that simple people.

Where should the focus be?
    Pretty simple answer.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Part of what he is getting at is opinions in what is the correct scientific way to manage wildlife change non stop. This is very true and one of the main reason I urge people to not jump and support a management plan as fact till results are proven.

He is also giving a study that shows impact of predators if I understand correctly. It seems like he is stating the study shows a lower impact then many would expect

You are being urged to dig deeper like some of us do already
    I do delve in deep when I have time....but I also try and approach it with as logical thinking as possible - question you gotta ask yourself is, of course predators will cause a big impact on ungulates, other than omnivorous bears, predators are always eating meat...I don't see any link to this study..

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Yet some still look at regulations as to why numbers and harvest appear to be going down.
    Fewer animals on the landscape = fewer harvests.

It's that simple people.

Where should the focus be?
    Pretty simple answer.
    Yes fewer animals can lead to fewer harvest but at what point must something be done.
    Well I think regs can have an impact on why numbers go down. Take the EK were in some areas
    whitetail numbers were already dropping then you throw in the doe season which made it worse.
    In doing this it may cause other animals to look for another food source thus causing a possible decline in
    other animals, so yes regs can cause a decline in numbers.
    Then theres the spike fork moose season.

Where should the focus be, well in lots of areas it should be on conservation.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I do delve in deep when I have time....but I also try and approach it with as logical thinking as possible - question you gotta ask yourself is, of course predators will cause a big impact on ungulates, other than omnivorous bears, predators are always eating meat...I don't see any link to this study..

The plan being supported for WT failed in Alberta with restricted mule deer harvest. They are now reducing WT doe harvest in same MUs and no improvement to mule deer populations.

No one can show proof of results as planned but proof of failure exists

Dig deeper into WT management and compare density of WT populations where harvest is more liberal on either sex. BCs WT populations are a fraction

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Yes fewer animals can lead to fewer harvest but at what point must something be done.
    Well I think regs can have an impact on why numbers go down. Take the EK were in some areas
    whitetail numbers were already dropping then you throw in the doe season which made it worse.
    In doing this it may cause other animals to look for another food source thus causing a possible decline in
    other animals, so yes regs can cause a decline in numbers.
    Then theres the spike fork moose season.

Where should the focus be, well in lots of areas it should be on conservation.
    LBM, out of curiousity...what is your background?

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

LBM, out of curiousity...what is your background?
    Ive never really looked into it that much but from what I am told Scottish/Ukrainian.
    Not sure what that has to do with any thing.

Ive never really looked into it that much but from what I am told Scottish/Ukrainian.
    Not sure what that has to do with any thing.
    Yikes, LOL.
    Your background, as in a person, what you do/did for a living, what industry/trade/business, and at what capacity.
    Curious.

Yikes, LOL.
    Your background, as in a person, what you do/did for a living, what industry/trade/business, and at what capacity.
    Curious.
    Ya starting to creep me out a bit. Thought this was a hunting site not a dating site, I know the younger guys at work
    are always talking about a site called Tinder that may be of some help to you.
    Not sure how relevant any of your questions are to wildlife conservation are or what your curiousity in to the answers of them is maybe you could explain.

Ya starting to creep me out a bit. Thought this was a hunting site not a dating site, I know the younger guys at work
    are always talking about a site called Tinder that may be of some help to you.
    Not sure how relevant any of your questions are to wildlife conservation are or what your curiousity in to the answers of them is maybe you could explain.
    Happy to answer.
    Whenever a person offers their views on a topic most would like to know if they come from a position of expertise based on their life experiences and working knowledge of the topic.

IE - a person that debates corporate governance, how to run a company better than that of those in charge, yet have never run a company, let alone been in management.....how valued should their opinion be?

Aint a Tinder like question chief.
    I like to know what a person is all about before I can take a word they say seriously ( as I try and respect everyone)