Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Region 3 Access?

Region 3 Access?

Maybe a long shot but I want to get my 11yr old son out for another day of hunting for a Muley or WT for him. We live in Lake country and want to head to 3-12 or surrounding MU to drive and maybe do a bit of walking. Does anyone have any good advice on where to go in 3-12? Not looking for your honey hole, more looking for areas that are still accessible to a 4wd truck and not too much snow so we get stuck. We are pretty green to alot of the areas, early season we spent time up near Pennask etc but I will assume that is too snowy now so thinking near Merritt or Kamloops areas?

Thank you for any input, we want to head out for the day tomorrow (December 6/17)
    A day in the woods is better than any day in the city

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Region 3 Access?

Haven't had much opportunity this season, but north of Falkland is an area I've scouted & frequented the last couple of seasons. I hope to get up there too before season ends. Turn right in Falkland & head up the Chase/Falkland road. There are a number of FSRs along the route worth checking out. MU 3-26, a bit more of a drive for you. Some private land north of Pillar Lake to get around, but plenty of crown land north & south of there.
    Last edited by mike31154; 12-06-2017 at 12:47 AM.

So we drove out to Chase Falkland Rd yesterday and drove almost every FSR and spur we could get into with my truck. We saw 1 set of deer tracks in the snow and a few moose tracks, and I am talking we covered ALOT of ground. But we did see about 5 million K9 tracks from big packs of Wolf to Coyote running every road and cut block we could find. In my years of hunting I have never seen so much Dog tracks anywhere and I have hunted alot and covered many MU's. Keep me posted how you make out if you go out that way but after a full day spent there it was one of those days. Weird part was not being able to find any deer tracks anywhere (yes we hiked around as well). Good luck in your adventures, I do agree, geographically it looks like an awesome area all over out there but no sign is not a good sign

Quote Originally Posted by BChunter1982 View Post
    So we drove out to Chase Falkland Rd yesterday and drove almost every FSR and spur we could get into with my truck. We saw 1 set of deer tracks in the snow and a few moose tracks, and I am talking we covered ALOT of ground. But we did see about 5 million K9 tracks from big packs of Wolf to Coyote running every road and cut block we could find. In my years of hunting I have never seen so much Dog tracks anywhere and I have hunted alot and covered many MU's. Keep me posted how you make out if you go out that way but after a full day spent there it was one of those days. Weird part was not being able to find any deer tracks anywhere (yes we hiked around as well). Good luck in your adventures, I do agree, geographically it looks like an awesome area all over out there but no sign is not a good sign
    First post on here for me. I was reading this thread as we were going to head up Chase-Falkland tomorrow.

We hunted a full day covering almost everything in 3-13 we could get to from Kane Valley yesterday and I could quote your review of Chase-Falkland and apply it exactly to what we saw. We covered a TON of ground in the truck and on foot. Aside from stalking into a group of 3 WT does and a fawn, we saw almost no deer tracks. A couple of moose and some very fresh elk sign. But the dog tracks were unbelievable! Every FSR had multiple dog tracks on it, including on top of fairly fresh tire tracks. We started the day discussing the pros and cons of shooting a coyote if we saw one, and by the end of the day we were almost hunting coyotes we hated them so much. So many rabbit tracks it was comical too.

Snow level was all over the place, some areas of the same elevation had hardly a skiff in one spot to 6" in other spots, but was getting uncomfortable above 1250m in a stock truck with good tires.

Just a reminder guys, it's Winter Time up here! If your going off road carry a set of good chains, and know they fit your tires, a real strong snow shovel, license plates do work but snow shovels work better! Sand bag's, jackall, come a long or chain block, I like winches my self, 25 feet of chain or good cable, extra socks, boots, jacket, food, water, and anything else you can think of! And most importantly! And when you drive by the ranchers house on your way up the logging road, Smile and politely Wave! You might be knock'in on his door at 2 AM asking for a tow out of the ditch!!! Good luck this weekend!

Douglas lake is having big issues with wolves and coyotes, and they own a large portion of 3-12. The "private" property is actually making it easier for the predators. I've personally shot 25+ coyotes from 3-12 and over 20 from 3-13 this fall already, failed to connect on a couple big wolves as well... we need more people hunting predators in the off season! Even 1 coyote per hunter would be substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Douglas lake is having big issues with wolves and coyotes, and they own a large portion of 3-12. The "private" property is actually making it easier for the predators. I've personally shot 25+ coyotes from 3-12 and over 20 from 3-13 this fall already, failed to connect on a couple big wolves as well... we need more people hunting predators in the off season! Even 1 coyote per hunter would be substantial.
    Nice ... you might even be making gas money as a bonus eh ? Or is is too early for nice fur ?

Quote Originally Posted by g2mike View Post
    First post on here for me. I was reading this thread as we were going to head up Chase-Falkland tomorrow.

We hunted a full day covering almost everything in 3-13 we could get to from Kane Valley yesterday and I could quote your review of Chase-Falkland and apply it exactly to what we saw. We covered a TON of ground in the truck and on foot. Aside from stalking into a group of 3 WT does and a fawn, we saw almost no deer tracks. A couple of moose and some very fresh elk sign. But the dog tracks were unbelievable! Every FSR had multiple dog tracks on it, including on top of fairly fresh tire tracks. We started the day discussing the pros and cons of shooting a coyote if we saw one, and by the end of the day we were almost hunting coyotes we hated them so much. So many rabbit tracks it was comical too.

Snow level was all over the place, some areas of the same elevation had hardly a skiff in one spot to 6" in other spots, but was getting uncomfortable above 1250m in a stock truck with good tires.
    Yeah we saw 1 coyote on the way back home. We took a drive up into an area called Yankee flats (new to me) and saw NOTHING for deer sign but I did see a coyote at 60 yrds, by the time I had rifle loaded it was over the hill and GONZO!! Used a predator call after I saw that bugger but he wouldn't come out of the sticks!!! Still like I stated earlier, I have never ever ever seen so much Dog sign, I still cant believe it. My truck I'm new running BFG K02's and they seem pretty awesome in the deep stuff but not that great on some Icy corners working my way down the switchbacks on some FSR's out there. Chains will be an investment for next season (or a quad if the wife permits lol)

Quote Originally Posted by M.Dean View Post
    Just a reminder guys, it's Winter Time up here! If your going off road carry a set of good chains, and know they fit your tires, a real strong snow shovel, license plates do work but snow shovels work better! Sand bag's, jackall, come a long or chain block, I like winches my self, 25 feet of chain or good cable, extra socks, boots, jacket, food, water, and anything else you can think of! And most importantly! And when you drive by the ranchers house on your way up the logging road, Smile and politely Wave! You might be knock'in on his door at 2 AM asking for a tow out of the ditch!!! Good luck this weekend!
    I did wave and smile in a few spots yesterday but yes I agree I for 1 will definitely go more prepared next time out (next season). Beautiful country out that way!

How about Glimpse lake area?? cant recall the MU, but should have deer right now.
    Surprised if there are none around Monte?
    Pinuas lake area...???
    But hell ya....carry chains...and a come along with chain and rope!
    If you don't have them...get em....gets rid of the "greenhorn" experience real quick.
    Chainsaw and shovel.. ..stihl or husky...f the other brands.