Thread: Silky Saw for game cutting

Silky Saw for game cutting

Been looking at Silky Saws on u-tube, look like great saws. What I want to know is have any of you used one for cutting large game? What size and what teeth (coarse or fine) would be recommended? Would like to also be able to use the same saw for cutting fire wood, carry an extra blade in different tooth configuration?
    I think one would be handy to leave behind the seat of the truck.
    MM

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Silky Saw for game cutting

Thanks for asking this question Moose Milk. I bought one recently (the 9" I believe with coarse teeth) and was wondering the same thing as I unfortunately have not had the opportunity to try it out.

You can order spare blades. You want the finest tooth pattern you can get. I have the "pocketboy" that came with large teeth and when they dulled I got a superfine replacement. Cutting bone requires a hacksaw fine tooth pattern. It works great!

Thumbs up Re: Silky Saw for game cutting

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    You can order spare blades. You want the finest tooth pattern you can get. I have the "pocketboy" that came with large teeth and when they dulled I got a superfine replacement. Cutting bone requires a hacksaw fine tooth pattern. It works great!
    This. I carry one in the truck (and often pack) all the time. Two sets of two blades - coarse for wood work, very fine for bones.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I was told by a fellow carpenter that you can use blades off a cheaper saw they will fit with a tiny bit of filing.the silky ones are pricey

I also went with a Pocketboy 170 this year. I went with two blades as they are easy to swap. The large teeth for wood and a fine teeth for bone. I’ve only had to use it once on a deer so far but it worked fine.

Still using my Gerber folding saw with a fine tooth blade. Never saw a reason to change.

Quote Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
    Still using my Gerber folding saw with a fine tooth blade. Never saw a reason to change.
    I saw a reason to change when the locking mechanism failed on mine when only putting light pressure on the blade. It was cutting great but a little flimsy in the construction.