Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cowichan Bay Cleanup

Re: Cowichan Bay Cleanup

Count me in. Never been there before but wouldn't mind meeting some fellow waterfowlers. I have waders but no small boat. Is my dopey lab welcome...

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    well they aren't scissoring... so at least one is male

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper333 View Post
    Is my dopey lab welcome...
    Absolutely

I have contacted the CVRD and was sent a Tipping Fee Exemption Application.

I 'll need a couple pick up truck licence plate numbers "for the application" for those who don't mind hauling the trash we collect to the Bings Creek facility when we're done. Last time, we had one truck with an 8' box loaded full. But I'd like to add 3 plate numbers just to make sure we got it covered. I'm going to apply for a 2 tonne load exemption. This will not include recyclables like metal, tires which are no charge. Not saying we'll collect this much, but you never know.

Please PM me if you don't mind hauling from Cow Bay to Bings Creek. "about a 15 minute drive". I'll need you plate number.

cheers

thanks, Ron

Well, I hate to say this but the cleanup is a bust. My application for a tipping fee exemption was denied because I am not doing this as a school district, registeted non profit society or charity. This is based on CVRD bylaw 4110. Pretty sad that everyday folks cant
    try and do some good and not be supported. Ill be following this up and recommending an ammendment to this bylaw.

I cant afford the tipping fee for a group effort, but ill be headed out on Saturday to clean up Widgeon Island and as many other areas as I can and Ill pay for the disposal myself. Help is appreciated but I have to ask that you dispose of the trash you collect
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-25-2018 at 11:45 AM.

If you belong to rod and gun or such, organize it through the club and you should get the exemption. It should not matter who participates
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

That blows that you couldn't get the city support. The city of Delta was really helpful and offered to pick up all the trash free of charge; they even provided pickers and garbage bags... I just couldn't get people to commit on my side of the pond. Going to try again, I really want to get this done and clean up our neck of the woods.

Headed out on Saturday. The bay is a mess. The recent high tides and storms don't help and lots of crap ends up in washing into common duck hunting spots.

Nice work Ron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

You should send that photo to city council and cc the local newspaper. Send them a note with the photo suggesting this:

"If this is what one man can bring out of the bay, imagine what many hands could accomplish. Our bylaws need to change; if citizens want to give back to do good by our environment we shouldn't be hindered by asinine bylaws that prohibit us from doing so." Maybe then the city might buy in next time around.

Good for you Ron!

Ron
    Great work and good to see. Just a thought here. If you plan on doing this next year, let me know. I would suggest that this kind of thing would be good PR for both gun clubs in the area and hunting in the bay. With some preplanning, I think I could probably get you some funding from the clubs. As you are probably aware, I am on the Exec, with one of the clubs, and know some Exec from the other club. As was suggested by another poster, getting the press involved would also be a good thing.