Thread: Hail Mary next weekend.

Hail Mary next weekend.

Hello collective, going to try and make one last run up to Region 3 for the closing of the deer season on Dec 10th.

Am set to try a Hail Mary and do some things I've not tried before.

With my Primary focus being on the 4 or 5 WT bucks that I know are hanging out within 5km of the cabin - with 2 big nocturnal bucks.

This is what I'm contemplating . . .
    1) Acuired some rattling horns
    2) Picked up a Primos Bottleneck deer call
    3) Dragging along my Primos can Estrus Doe Bleats
    4) Have doe Estrus scent as well

So my thought is to pretty much stage a deer �� P-tay in the woods using all 3 and see if any one wants to crash it.

Not even sure they are still in the rut, but figured I might as well try something.

Question: I have a tree stand in the thick private land woods near a mineral lick. It gets some random visits from the bucks, but has more does on the camera at it. Do I rattle and party down there? OR go to a couple of other spots I've seen bucks that has a more open and higher vantage point that would allow the dance party sounds to carry further?

Note: After watching a few real life deer fight videos, realized I heard this in the distance from the tree stand a few weeks ago. Just was not sure what it was at the time.

Any comments are appreciated.

I'm also betting $$$ that I'll see a bull moose now that my leh expired!

Cheers, VFX
    Last edited by VFX_man; 12-04-2017 at 12:59 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hail Mary next weekend.

go for it...not going to get them at home...
    hell i will rattle for you saturday morning...now if i can only find some antlers..
    from what i saw you have a good whitetail pocket there.

there still rutting. I would plan on them being on the move. Sitting still and waiting whilst rattling may be a good idea. If the snow is still crunchy its likely the noise will give you away before seeing any deer.

Good luck, Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

I’ve had late season luck over South-facing reprod on a frosty mornings.

I’d still hunt through known or likely bedding areas during the midday silence.

And i’d shift areas and call aggressively in the evening.

That’s just me... I can’t spend a whole day in a stand.

The snow is very crunchy and loud. If suggest holding tight in a blind especially if it has animals coming in to it already. No point looking for new sources of game if you already have customers at the salt licks.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    go for it...not going to get them at home...
    hell i will rattle for you saturday morning...now if i can only find some antlers..
    from what i saw you have a good whitetail pocket there.
    You wanting to head up on Saturday mid-day/evening?

sent you a text.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
    I’ve had late season luck over South-facing reprod on a frosty mornings.

I’d still hunt through known or likely bedding areas during the midday silence.

And i’d shift areas and call aggressively in the evening.

That’s just me... I can’t spend a whole day in a stand.
    Thanks everyone for the ideas, will be good to focus on WT only -- instead of hunting too many options.

Attached is one of the areas I am thinking about hitting.

I know there has been activity in the area based on a few weeks ago [Buck Snort] and 2 years ago my hunting buddies pass on a buck since it was 300 yards out and they were not comfortable with taking that shot. Had a camera near the ridgestand, but only captured does.

The new insight looking at the map was seeing that upper "hidden" wooded valley along the creek. Might be worth a slow stroll up it since I know there is a monster WT in the area that does some 2 am visits to the mineral lick that's about 2km away.

Also had a trail camera pickup a couple of smaller WT bucks near the lower right lake [of course heard a massive wood knock by that lake this year, so . . . I'll be cautious].

I have a dumb question. What is a wood knock?

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I have a dumb question. What is a wood knock?
    Wellllll, not a dumb question . . . but there is not a definitive answer to what the source is.

Basically, take a wooden baseball bat and swing as hard as you can at a tree. The resulting sound is what we heard -- "Wood Knock".

There were no other "people" in the area. It was not a natural sound and it was about 50 yards off to the left of us in thick brush, no wind and definitely not a falling tree/branch. Was in spring, so the deer were still in early in velvet, so not them tearing up a tree.

I heard this once before near Loon Lake -- after I shot my single shot .22 two times in semi-rapid succession checking sighting, I got a whack whack reply almost immediately. Only 1 other hunter was seen that day and not near us and no wind.

So, depends on what you believe.
    Last edited by VFX_man; 12-05-2017 at 05:12 PM.