Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goretex socks

Goretex socks

Anyone use these?

A buddy's dad was telling us about these. He's military, says he wears his "waterproof" boots until they're soaked, then peel off his socks, and put on lighter socks with the goretex ones, and his feet stay dry.

Seemed like a good plan to me, so I gave them a Google. Seems like Rocky is the main outfit that makes them, but they're REALLY proud of them. $30 for merino socks is tough to swallow, but $70...thats a stretch.
    So does anyone else use these?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Goretex socks

Did some reading on them and there was a reference to the Sealskinz socks.
    For the price of $70.00 for either, I think I will stay with my wicking socks and Red Heads with a lifetime guarantee and gaiters.

I hear of guys sheep hunting wearing them for stream crossings. I have no first hand experience with them. In my opinion if the inside of your boots are wet then your screwed. They take days to dry out. Better to use good boots and prevent them from becoming soaked

I bought a pair a few years ago. Still have them and they are tough to beat for walking in taller wet grass and shallow streams. They have stood up really well too.

My son wears them, I hate them. To me, it feels like putting a plastic bag over your foot. I also don't want to get the inside of my boots wet. I suppose if they are wet anyways I might put on fresh socks and the goretex sock over top but I've never been in that situation.

My boot/gaitor combination is pretty waterproof for creek crossing. My crocs aren't waterproof but they are also good for creeks and I usually have them because they are nice for sitting around camp.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

They're nice to keep your feet dry but if it's cold and you get water inside your boots your feet will still be as cold as if they were wet

My boots and gaiters are good, but theres always the possibility of a slip and a splash (saw this a couple weeks ago and the boots got ruined trying to get them dry by the fire in one night). Thats basically the scenario I have in mind.
    I guess that's the advantage of crocs for camp shoes and creek crossers, they drip dry better than a pair of runners for camp shoes.

I've got sealskinz. I don't use them for hunting.
    I'll wear them inside my work boots if I'm going to be working in mud and water for the day. Or when fishing I just wear them in old running shoes and feet stay dry, I don't care if the shoes get wet.

I used to wear gore tex socks when I mountain biked year round. They work well for keeping your skin dry, but I find they can also get cold as you can sweat a bit more in some boots/shoes.

As for wet boots wrecking the day - a few years ago I swapped my main hunting boots to the Arcteryx Bora boots with inner liners that you can swap out and what a game changer. I can take the liner out, cross streams, and then dry my feet and put my liners back in. Also, the liners pull out and dry in a few hours. I have two different liners, can carry the second set if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
    I used to wear gore tex socks when I mountain biked year round. They work well for keeping your skin dry, but I find they can also get cold as you can sweat a bit more in some boots/shoes.

As for wet boots wrecking the day - a few years ago I swapped my main hunting boots to the Arcteryx Bora boots with inner liners that you can swap out and what a game changer. I can take the liner out, cross streams, and then dry my feet and put my liners back in. Also, the liners pull out and dry in a few hours. I have two different liners, can carry the second set if need be.
    That sounds like a decent feature on the removable liners. When I rode year round, I just suffered. What's a little trench foot between friends, Right?

Are the goretex socks the kind of thing I could turn inside out and dry out in my sleeping bag overnight?

Ps-NSMB old school